VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen a few threads on the forum I went to my local Timpsons hoping to get a surf key (key with no transponder/remote) cut for my T5 (2008 model) plus ones for my Beetle and my wife's old Polo (we do quite a bit of sea kayaking). The assistant told me that they no longer sell this type of key (he referred to it as a blank key) and that it was a transponder or nothing - at great cost of course!

Anyone else encountered this response, and anyone got any ideas of where to get surf keys?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
736 Posts
Got a surf key for mine no transponder from a local mobile locksmith for £10 so would think try a few locksmiths from your area

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I have popped the key in a water tight bag off ebay for less than £5 and popped it inside my wet suit round my neck.. I keep seeing guys with keys on the back wheel no thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I will try some of my local locksmiths. I have used the roll top bags that I got from my local kayak shop to keep keys/wallet dry, but always feel a bit suspicious of entrusting valuables to a thin bag.

M

·
Registered
32 Posts
We got a genuine vw surf key as a second when we bought our van. It's a plastic blade and the head is about the size of a penny, completely plastic.
You have to unlock the van manually and stick it in the ignition before the alarm goes off but it'll start the van too (although it's hard to turn being quite thin!)
Fits in my wetsuit key pouch with ease and no rust either T:
I seem to recall £70 for a coded one to start the van, prob cheaper without. I know it's more than the £5 copy but I find it really useful.
The Newquay VW dealer may be worth a ring? Not seen many of them about and seen some great efforts at making electric keys waterproof!

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
I have popped the key in a water tight bag off ebay for less than £5 and popped it inside my wet suit round my neck.. I keep seeing guys with keys on the back wheel no thanks!
Yep, exactly what I have done.
Why spend £15-£20plus k on a van. Then leave the key lying around for some toe-rag:*
Seen a guy last week with a brand new 3 series, put his key in one of them tow lock things. Then hang it off his drivers door handle...!!!

Talk about making it easy for them,
idiots...!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, this is how it is done.

You need 2 (yes, ideally) keyblades, the metal bit that flicks out of the plipper.

text or call Jim Mann at CheshireAuto Keys Ltd. Send him the number on the master key ring (The one on the tab or fob)

He will electronically cut your new keyblades and post them to you in a couple of days. You need to drill a small hole in the end of one keyblade and hang it on a chain or leather necklace. Make sure it has a break link in it.....you don't want to be accidentally garrotted. You wear this one like medallion man when you do your surfer duding, or whatever you get up to in the water. Don't forget to fix something to the blade that well help you turn the key in the lock, trying it with just the keyblade is near impossible.

You secrete the other keyblade in a hidden location on your van, known only to you. This is just in case you loose the other one round your neck.

If you have 2 sets of electronic keys, leave the master set at home. The other one you use to operate the vehicle as normal.

When you need to lock the vehicle place the electronic keys in the driver's door pocket, you will need to get to them easily on your return. Hide them under the mars bar wrappers or pile of parking receipts.....

Press the yellow 'motion de-activation button' on the door pillar behind the drivers seat (If you have one). Close the drivers door as normal, leaving the main keys inside the vehicle! Insert the keyblade in the door lock and turn anti-clockwise. Your vehicle is now secure and the fancy plipper that costs a fortune to replace is safe and sound. You have your key blade around your neck, and a sissy spare if you loose the one you are wearing.

On your return, insert the keyblade and turn clockwise until the doors unlock. Now is the important bit.....grab the plipper and hit the 'open' button, otherwise the locking system will think you have just broken into the vehicle and set off the vehicle alarm.

I did this last year, the keyblades were £10 each. Usual disclaimers. BTW I got the details from ebay, here's an example:

<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-PASSAT-CC-SMART-EMERGENCY-KEY-BLADE-CUT-TO-CODE-OR-PHOTOGRAPH-/261100229119?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ccac951ff>

Jim Mann
Gairloch Close
Warrington
Cheshire
WA2 0SG
United Kingdom

Phone:07971|793704
Email:[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts