VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well well, i really should subscribe to this forum.. its awesome!

after doing my door cards and dash, i decided that i wanted to keep my surfboards inside the van so that i could go anywhere and not worry about some cheeky tea leaf nickin em!

the problem was is that i wanted to keep an area where i could sleep, i still wanted the captains chair (passenger side) to swivel, and i still wanted to use all the doors.

initially i thought that hanging the boards on the roof using some kind of cargo net system was a good idea, however i usually have 3 boards in my van at any one time. 2 longboards and a short-board. so i must allow to accommodate these! plus an extra as usually someone is with me almost every-time i go.

so what i decided that i would do, is measure up for 4 longboards. this way i would hopefully over spec the space needed therefore would'nt have to get annoyed about those extra few mm's. i did however allow for the removal of fins, if i had to so that they would all fit. all that mean really was carrying a fin key and a screwdriver all the time (such weight!)

my first idea was to build a cupboard type thing alon the solid side of the van and put all the boards in there and use the top for the cooker etc.
problem was that this moethod took way to much room away and there was no way that i was doing this.

eventually i was sat with the seat swivelt wondering how the hell i was going to do this.

looking at the boards on the floor...... 'boing' i got it.
i would make a false floor!

this way no one could see the boards ... therfore hopefully walk away!

the problem was, how to support the floor. it needed to carry my weight in any part, be able to withstand some 'bouncing' I: etc it needed to be as solid as the original floor.

what i decided to do was to make beams running along the sides and then one centre one. using 18mm marine ply would give me the strength and protection that i needed.

So using 2x1 i started to build the beam (my mate was totally convinced that 2x1 would not hold anything, but i wanted to save weight and also i knew that if i build them properly, they would hold)

this was the design of the beams. i had to make them short to allow for the curvature of the van. so instead of one long one, the sections would fit better in the curve.

this was the stage of the ply going in. note the centre beam. it is done in exactly the same style as the previous ones although a lot longer as it does not need to bend.
i cut the ply to suit the area. i also allowed for the rear light bulges so that the ply would go right up to the door when closed.

you can see here the edging of the ply and also a longboard. this should hopefully give you some idea of the space. i made the height up to the wheel arches. as they help with the weight support. they are also of the right height to allow 2 longboards in each section.

this is it fully finished. note that i cut a semi circle to allow for the swivel of the passenger seat.

and from the side

i used off cuts form the orginal sheet to keep costs down.

the ply was fixed to the beams using conventional screws. the beams were NOT fitted to the floor. i thought that the idea of the floating system would be better when the van flexes whilst driving. it is the snug fit of the ply that keeps everything together. sounds dodgy but works very well

All i need to do now is put some kind of flooring down to hide the lines and make it look nice and neat.

I hope that this gives some influenced to people!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a similar set up which is strong enough for me and Mrs. Miguel to sleep on. There's loads of room underneath for all sorts of gear including a big box for wetsuits etc. I'm thinking of making some pullouts on long heavy duty draw runners to fit just above the floor to make it a bit easier to get everything in and out...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looks like a nice tidy job mate, I thought about doing something similar but I like the (minimal!) headroom in the back so just hang mine from the roof using straps though some stainless "D" rings I got from a chandlers. Low tech but only stash em up there when Im sleeping in the back. :ILU:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts