VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice.

We're looking at buying a T4 which looks very clean and tidy, however has some advisories on the suspension arms. Is this enough to pass on this one and keep looking? The van is a W reg and other than these advisories hasn't had any other major issues on the MOT history and no visible signs of rust or issues.

Advisories listed below;

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Offside Front Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Nearside Rear Suspension component corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Offside Rear Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Thanks in advance

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
front supension arms / wishbones are cast (or forged?) steel so would take some serious corosion for dangerous conditions?

rear wishbones are fabricated from steel-plate pressings sot less resilliant than cast / forged....

I doubt theres more than surface rust on them (y)

Rich,

Reactions: frareg

Registered
Yeah, I鈥檇 agree with the above. Front ones are drop forged I think鈥o not an issue. Rear one鈥 rub down and a coat of paint.

I would crawl under and have a look though, if I was thinking of buying. Tap it with a spanner, if it鈥檚 sound it will make a bright sound, rotten it will clunk. If the owner objects to a tap with a spanner, walk away.

Registered
Actually鈥s an afterthought, I have seen a few of this type of advisory鈥.. I do sometimes wonder if a garage is touting for work with things like this. To me it鈥檚 a 鈥渒eep an eye on it鈥 thing.

A good example was an old S2a Land Rover I owned (yes, I know鈥︷煓) every year it had an advisory for a rusty axle strengthener, which had a hole in it. Actually a drain hole, but nemmind. It was a military addition, not on civvy axles, and I got fed up of the advisory, so took an angle grinder to it and cut it off. No more advisories. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

1 - 5 of 5 Posts