VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've seen that some people tend to lower their suspension, which looks nice, and some talk about improving the ride. Is it the case that the result gives a more comfortable ride over stock set up, or that it gives more sporty handling only and looks good? Also, are brake upgrades worth it please? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
My suspension is still stock height as I am waiting to get air ride, I have however, uprated the anti roll bars, which makes a huge difference.

A lot of people will tell you that the standard brakes, when kept maintained correctly, and you drive safely keeping a safe distance are more than adequate.

However, not everyone got that memo, and sometimes keeping a safe distance is taken out of your hands, so better brakes will obviously be better. I upgrade my hoses to Goodrich hoses, fitted slotted discs and good pads, you can feel the difference.

Good tyres are also very important.

·
Registered
336 Posts
if its comfort you want leave it as it is.
Mine is lowered 50mm with 20” rims and looks great but it’s a bone shaker. I find I spend most of my time looking for pot holes
The large wheels don’t help but it was no different on smaller rims
yes it handles well for a big heavy vehicle but that’s the only thing in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have sports suspension on my car, so I know all too well how harsh it can be, especially with low profiles, but I couldn't help wonder if there was a sensible balance between handling and comfort that is easy to live with...

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have to say my brakes are more than adequate, nothing fancy just brembo discs and pads all round, i also run 20 inch wheels on lowered springs , it is a bit harsh but i dint mind.👍👍

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Suspension - depends whats in your van. If you're rattling around in it nearly empty all the time then a suspension change will help as the stock setup is designed to handle a load of weight and so is dead stiff when empty.

Out of all the suspension setups I've experienced, the best for comfort was still the Bilstein B14 setup in a converted camper van. Nothing else has come close, even my own Bilstein based air ride (although a friend with a T5 on standard suspension commented on how well my van rides when he went in it).

Brakes, meh. I'd be tempted to fit a 180BiTDI setup on mine purely because its dragging around a full camper conversion all the time but I don't think you need anything more. A lot of the time I think its vanity from seeing smaller brakes behind a set of big wheels.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I run a T5.1 180 Sportline. Standard brakes are fine, even when standing on them fully loaded when a moron pulls out in front of you! I changed the stock Sportline suspension for Bilstein B12 springs and shocks all round (about £690 all in plus fitting if you can't do it yourself) which lower it about 50mm and because they retain the ride quality as close to stock as possible. HTH

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I run a T5.1 180 Sportline. Standard brakes are fine, even when standing on them fully loaded when a moron pulls out in front of you! I changed the stock Sportline suspension for Bilstein B12 springs and shocks all round (about £690 all in plus fitting if you can't do it yourself) which lower it about 50mm and because they retain the ride quality as close to stock as possible. HTH
Hi, where did you get this kit from?
I can only find a 30mm kit and that's 750 with vat.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dropping the van on H&R springs 40mm was great for handling and cornering! With the state of U.K. roads maybe ride is a consideration but we have a camper conversion and love the drop. As for breaks well I agree with DaveyB post... every time I’ve had to break hard I’m stunned by the capability of the stock set up. Remember these vans are workhorses designed to haul large amounts regularly and with stringent EU laws more importantly STOP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks everyone, really helpful. Looks like a modest tweak with ride height and roll bars makes sense at some point

1 - 15 of 15 Posts