VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Only owned my van for about 6months, and the van failed MOT currently having rust treated and I wanted to change the suspension while it's in pieces! the ride is sooo hard and bumpy, I currently have 17" wheels with low profile tyres, and apparently the front is right down on the bump stops?! I would like a softer ride, thinking of getting 16" with bigger tyres but I dont know what suspension kits would be best, I dont want the van really high but also dont want to lowered right down so somewhere in the middle. I seen loads of kits of 40mm and 60m but dont understand...I an not mechanically great and a newbie to the t4! Sorry! But any help/advice greatly appreciated!!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
40mm QUALITY springs (progressive) on the rear, the front is adjustable....plenty of guides on how to do it.
I have NO problem with ride quality with my 17" wheels and 245/45-17 tyres.
Dampers (shock-absorbers) can make a big difference, so don't stimp on them.
Sachs HD are the "van's favourite"!

Get the rear sorted, then adjust the front to the correct ride height.
This depends upon what weight you have/want in the rear, to balance it out.
THEN....four wheel tracking and the brake balancing valve adjusted correctly. (Balancing valve wrong, and if you have to brake hard, you can suddenly find the back end has overtaken the front :eek: )

You don't say what year/model van you have.......ALWAYS the 1st thing to type in a post. I:

If the van's in "the air", keep spraying Plusgas or similar onto the adjusting rod threads (NOT WD40!!!!!).
You'll then need a VERY deep 27mm socket, or spend an hour or more each side with a spanner to adjust them.
10mm thread is about 25mm on suspension if I remember correctly....and don't expect each side to be the same....mine has 10mm more thread one side to the other!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40mm QUALITY springs (progressive) on the rear, the front is adjustable....plenty of guides on how to do it.
I have NO problem with ride quality with my 17" wheels and 245/45-17 tyres.
Dampers (shock-absorbers) can make a big difference, so don't stimp on them.
Sachs HD are the "van's favourite"!

Get the rear sorted, then adjust the front to the correct ride height.
This depends upon what weight you have/want in the rear, to balance it out.
THEN....four wheel tracking and the brake balancing valve adjusted correctly. (Balancing valve wrong, and if you have to brake hard, you can suddenly find the back end has overtaken the front
)

You don't say what year/model van you have.......ALWAYS the 1st thing to type in a post.

If the van's in "the air", keep spraying Plusgas or similar onto the adjusting rod threads (NOT WD40!!!!!).
You'll then need a VERY deep 27mm socket, or spend an hour or more each side with a spanner to adjust them.
10mm thread is about 25mm on suspension if I remember correctly....and don't expect each side to be the same....mine has 10mm more thread one side to the other!
Appreciate the reply, apologies i have a t4 1.9td 1996....thank you very much for your advice. Although I dont quite understand it, ? but I'll use it to go through with my better mechanically minded friends....I guess I just want to make sure the ride is not as stiff and hard as it is now it's really bumpy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts