VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm restoring a T4 2.5 TDi Caravelle at the moment. I have never driven her (bought with a snapped timing belt & smashed camshaft, I'm building the engine atm) but from looking around the van the suspension needs a complete overhaul too.

I need to replace all the bushings, ball joints, a trackrod and the springs.

I was just wondering about different bushing manufactures quality?

I have been reading about powerflex bushings but are they worth the price? I've read that review stickied but man they're expensive . . . A quick search on their site it seems like it would cos around £700 for the lot!!! Does anybody have any experience with these bushings?
Are their any other good quality manufacturers? and where is the cheapest place to buy?

Thanks lads, I know I can find all this by searching but If you saw my parts list between the engine rebuild, suspension & body parts I have so much research and work ahead of me some help would be great!

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Hey all,

I'm restoring a T4 2.5 TDi Caravelle at the moment. I have never driven her (bought with a snapped timing belt & smashed camshaft, I'm building the engine atm) but from looking around the van the suspension needs a complete overhaul too.

I need to replace all the bushings, ball joints, a trackrod and the springs.

I was just wondering about different bushing manufactures quality?

I have been reading about powerflex bushings but are they worth the price? I've read that review stickied but man they're expensive . . . A quick search on their site it seems like it would cos around £700 for the lot!!! Does anybody have any experience with these bushings?
Are their any other good quality manufacturers? and where is the cheapest place to buy?

Thanks lads, I know I can find all this by searching but If you saw my parts list between the engine rebuild, suspension & body parts I have so much research and work ahead of me some help would be great!
There are performance advantages for 'poly' bushes if you were building a track day, or comp car (there are downsides too).

For day to day, genuine VW would be the better choice; and spend the money you save on something else T:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
There are performance advantages for 'poly' bushes if you were building a track day, or comp car (there are downsides too).

For day to day, genuine VW would be the better choice; and spend the money you save on something else T:
+1A:

I used to use genuine ford & Vauxhall bushes for my rallycars as they lasted longer & had more predictable and repeatable characteristics than aftermarket ‘poly’ (smaller aftermarket manufacturers cannot spend on materials & r&d like Main car makes.)

What’s the price difference between genuine oe VW & aftermarket copy? Then how much MORE is a set of ‘poly’ I:

‘Poly’bushes have funky colours, sound good when at shows / in bars / on forums BUT ultimately display that you’re spending on ‘the emperors new clothes’ LOL:

Only plus point for ‘poly’ is ease of fitment (& same in 2 years when they’re doomed :*. ‘

Buy genuine VW @ Tps & for what you save over ‘poly’ then a full set of fasteners/washers can be supplied to replace the rusty ones on your van A:

Rich.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers lads - Looking like I might go with Lemforder. I just gotta do a bit of shopping around now to see where is cheapest. I'm in Ireland so not sure who'll be the best for me . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts