VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fitted some short Gaz shocks and Eibach springs. Wound down the front to match.
What are the best setting for the shocks when unloaded? the ride is harsh.
How do you fine tune the shocks?

Thanks for your help.

Martin

10,824 Posts
Hi Martin, I set mine in the middle and the ride wasn't too bad. I'm afraid the only easy way is start there and adjust a notch or 2 until happy. T:

How is it riding with that setup in general as was thinking of going the eibach route myself?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
i have a full camper conversion in a lwb t4 .
i have the fronts set 10 clicks from hardest and rears 5 clicks from hardest
this set us suits me a treat but like i say my camper is heavy so maybe these setting could be too hard with an empty van .
i found going less than the half way settings makes the van too bouncy !!
the drive is great , well planted to the road , no swaying about at all

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must have them to hard. I am looking for bumps on the road and trying to miss them. 8 clicks from hard on the front and 6 clicks on the rear.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
im on the hardest at the front, thats so the van dosent hit the bump stops, will adjust when i cut the bump stops down :D

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
offffft on the hardest setting!!!! that wont take long till it either knackers the balljoint or the rear most rubber bush on the bottom arm!

I did both cause i had my shocks a bit too hard!!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
The backs 40mm on eibach the front i got carried away with. its als low as i can get with the 17s ive got atm. And all it needs to hit bumpstops is a large pebble in road. spead bumps are taken slowly.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
offffft on the hardest setting!!!! that wont take long till it either knackers the balljoint or the rear most rubber bush on the bottom arm!

I did both cause i had my shocks a bit too hard!!
Im contemplating takin the van back up a bit. love the look hate the cripalling bad back and the extra 10 mins it takes to get to work lol

an yes the ball joints are on the list lol

·
Registered
356 Posts
now guys dont p--ss youself here but my gaz shortend shocks blo-dy adjust them selfs ,all on there own :confused::confused:but i do alot of miles with full load all the time

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
What's the score with these Gaz shocks and Eibach springs, I thought the shortened ones were for over 60mm drop and standard sized for up to 60mm, but the Eibach's are 45mm drop max?. I ordered Normal height to go with my Eibach's but haven't fitted them yet.

Now i'm confused as a few have shortened ones :*

·
Registered
356 Posts
No they dont tonic ,they get sodd-ng harder for some reason ,i make it a weakly chor now to adjust ,why do you ask ,do yours move ,also i am runing very low ,no tension in front end torision bar ,so shocks are doing a lot of work:* thanks for your replys chaps

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
What's the score with these Gaz shocks and Eibach springs, I thought the shortened ones were for over 60mm drop and standard sized for up to 60mm, but the Eibach's are 45mm drop max?. I ordered Normal height to go with my Eibach's but haven't fitted them yet.

Anyone going to answer this?? I'm about to make a decision based on the future Eibach spring purchase and want to make sure i order the correct ones for the job. I'm planning on the good old raked look so if the short ones work well with the Eibach thats what i will buy.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
i would say the gaz standard shocks are designed to work with normal lowered drops upto 60mm i would say...any lower on the standard length shock and you want be getting the best out of them.

i would not say you would need a shortened shock with a 40/45mm drop

i would only be advising and fitting shortened shocks with 60mm or lower springs...

·
17,028 Posts

those will be fine mate..see above...eibachs and standard length shocks work best..

·
17,028 Posts
Anyone going to answer this?? I'm about to make a decision based on the future Eibach spring purchase and want to make sure i order the correct ones for the job. I'm planning on the good old raked look so if the short ones work well with the Eibach thats what i will buy.
if i where you mate and you want some serious rake,then buy the shortened ones for the front and 2 x standard length for the year...T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Im hopeing to get a set made with a length somewhere between the two, that ought to do it T:T:

Is there such a thing as a decent quality med to heavy spring which wont sag?? Why dont Eibach make a set of 60mm??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts