VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just intrigued to know what you guys thought about this,

i saw an amazing vehicle for sale on Gumtree and contacted the seller.(2002 VW T4 2.5TDI LWB 102BHP MURVI MALLARD HI-TOP CONVERSION)this vehicle was a bargain price of £3,255.00 with only 30,000 miles on the clock. Almost too good to be true.

i assumed that the price was wrong but got an email back saying that he would take £3200.00 but was in spain so had left the van with a shipping company and that payment had to be made to them(bank transfer only) then the van would be delivered, if the van was not as it was discribed then i could send it back for a full refund.

my alarm bells were ringing but i asked if i would be possible to see te van.
it was then removed from Gumtree and i assumed it had been sold as it was such a good deal.

i was suprised to see that the seller had messaged me saying that it was still for sale and gave me a link to the website describing the shipping company but they did not have a phone number.

when i looked on google for info about them all i could find was there own website info and that the domain name was registered only 2 weeks before. I dont know if that is relevant or not but it made me even more suspicious.

the seller sent me a number apparently of the shipping company and i left a message. i was called back and i could barely understand the guy wo had called back from customer services and he was reluctant to have a conversation and only wanted to state that they were involved in delivery and payment and it would be impossible to see the van prior to purchase and i could only pay by bank transfer. when i asked to speak to someone else as i was struggling to understand whether or not i could have copies of the paperwork you get with the van (T&Cs and returns policies and complaints). the conversation ended suddenly with him hanging up on me.!

now i dont know if this is a valid means of purchasing vehicles but i wont be parting with my cash.

if anyone has any experience or views on this i would love to hear them.

Bigwig

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well said!!! which is why my money is still in my wallet not half way round the world.

·
Registered
513 Posts
When we were looking for a van we checked out Gumtree and its "bargains", and bargains they would have been too at the price. BUT the sellers were either in hospital or abroad (Q alarm bells) and used a shipping company (more alarm bells) and bugger me if the exact same vans were seen on Piston heads 10k or so more (by now I have a head ache with all them bl**dy alarm bells going off)

My advice would leave them well alone........... we did.

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had the same experience via gumtree.

10k's worth of van for 4k.

Woman claimed to live in a remote area in the highlands, however had left the van with a transport company in edinburgh, same script as yours, cash transfer and the van would be delivered etc.

I asked for a phone number and was told she was in the remotest area of scotland and therefore couldnt get even a basic phone line to her house, amazing how she had internet!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I saw those ' bargins ' on Gumtree last month when I was looking for a van, asked on the forum as they seemed to good to be true, got some feed back saying much the same as you've just said, didn't even bother enquiring about them......

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I just wonder where some folk have been for the past 10 years or so - as that's about the length of time that this type of scam has been doing the rounds for :eek:

It's perhaps the most widely known, reported and TV featured scam, and I'm staggered that people are still falling for it, to be honest.... :(

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I just wonder where some folk have been for the past 10 years or so - as that's about the length of time that this type of scam has been doing the rounds for :eek:

It's perhaps the most widely known, reported and TV featured scam, and I'm staggered that people are still falling for it, to be honest.... :(
If you don't change your car/van for 5 or 6 years at a time then you may not have come across this type of thing. Although it is becoming more popular across the board of all sorts of items for sale.

Still find it hard to believe though that people part with their money before even seeing a vehicle just for the sake of a bargain. People must do as these scams still keep popping up. :*

·
Registered
15 Posts
i had same prob a month ago, a type 2 for £4k on glasgow gumtree. after the first email i realised this was a nigerian scamming but i played them along for a couple of days then took the out of them. i printed out all the emails and hope they will be of use for the new website set up to look at scams.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
To confirm the others I reported a person on Pistonheads who only had contact via email. I reported the advert and it took another advert for a "Bargain" off as well. So I would be suspicious of adverts with no phone number on Pistonheads straight away.

Its all similar but just for some light reading here is the exact reply I got.

"Good morning,
Sorry that I have given no response. I'm in hospital in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. I had surgery. And had to stay in hospital at least three weeks.
The transporter is still for sale, price that I'm asking is £5,700.00. bodywork & mechanical in excellent condition.
No scratches or any kind of damage. I had a buyer from Durham but his loan was not approved and now the transporter is still for sale. Delivery is already paid and as I explained my buyer couldn't get the loan after I made the arrangements to deliver the transporter, and the delivery company won't refund me, but I am able to deliver the transporter anywhere in United Kingdom. As I'm in hospital due to my health problems I can't do this transaction personally but the transaction will be made through Trans International Cargo for our own safety. If you want to buy it I just need your full name and address so I can open a case. You must know that Trans International Cargo will contact you without any obligation to buy it or fees.
Cheers

Road Tax: Oct 2010
MOT Expiry Date: Aug 2011"

All I asked was "Is the van still for sale?"

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happens a fair bit on the Air Cooled scene too.

I've seen a few posts on various forums offering £18,000 worth of Split Screen bus for something like £4995, in seemingly immaculate condition.

Same script, You must pay a third party the full amount before the van is delivered to you. Then, after you pay by Fakepal dodgy international money transfer, your lovely new, classic bunch of nothing is not delivered to you! Website, Email address is closed down and your left seriously out of pocket.

I do hope no one falls for these scams ever!

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I cant pay by pay pal or credit card(both of which give you insurance against a bad sale) I would not buy offline!!

Paid cash for mine, but then drove it away 2 minutes later.T:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Well people must still fall for it otherwise people wouldnt still be trying to scam people.

but seriously how does any body fall for it, why would you send money for a van you havent even seen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts