VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what kind of weight a swan neck tow bar can take.
i'll be pulling up to 1200 kgs.
would i be better off with a builders type one.
adam.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
You should always keep the nose weight around 50kgs as to pulling capability it should be fine. At that weight you'll be on a braked trailer anyway.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm... its not often that i do pull that much weight, think i'll chance it with a swanny.
whats the worst that can happen? :jd

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
if it was me i would go for the one that is capable of more weight better safe than sorry. I have towed with some right dodgy things in the past to get my cars to race tracks and its not fun but you could get away with things a few years ago but not now I:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Please; Could anyone enlighten me reg the "builders tow hitch"?
ThanksT:
its the type that dosent have a ball on the top but two holes one above the other then the trailer etc has one eye which goes in between the two on the tow vehicle then a solid pin is dropped down though the holes to make a solid strong joint hope this makes sense

·
Registered
101 Posts
The two most common types over the years are the typically British towball held on with two bolts to the towbar, and the swan neck favoured by our european cousins. For many years, if you ordered a towbar on a new VW, the factory would fit the swan neck type. That should tell you something about the strength of them! Don't know if you were joking, but I wouldn't want to be around if you're gonna pull 1200K's on an unbraked trailer. Ever heard of snaking? Brown trousers job big time!:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts