VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,ive got my 2.5 engine running well but want it out,taking van on world tour and cant get parts easy enough,spent too much on it and love the engine but dont trust it,anybody done a swap to 1.9, i know i need engine and gearbox wiring loom,… clocks? Shafts? Any info is supeer loved, the 2.5 is a wonderful engine ,but i dont want it …
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Hi all,ive got my 2.5 engine running well but want it out,taking van on world tour and cant get parts easy enough,spent too much on it and love the engine but dont trust it,anybody done a swap to 1.9, i know i need engine and gearbox wiring loom,… clocks? Shafts? Any info is supeer loved, the 2.5 is a wonderful engine ,but i dont want it …
thanks
Wouldn't it be easier to just swap the van? Rather than changing the engine and everything with it😂

·
Premium Member
6,327 Posts
It would be easiest to take the van to a really good mechanic, leave it for a week or so for them to go through it really well and fix everything which is a bit marginal. 2.5s dont just go up in smoke, you can easily run through all the issues. Dodgy turbo, cracked/warped manifold, leaking injectors, dodgey tandem pump, dicky DMF, worn intercooler/hoses, knackered cam, worn driveshaft splines...??

You could swap in an old 1.9 drivetrain which would costs thousands and still find a lot of the above problems...?

·
Registered
304 Posts
With vehicles I generally ascribe to 'better the devil you know'...

If you swapped in a 1.9 you'd need to run it for several 1000 miles to gauge if it is okay, and then the HG would probably go in the next 1000 miles.!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts