VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all anyone done a complete system swap of a factory fitted aircon from one t4 van to another t4..ie if you had 2 vans next to each other and you wanted to swap the complete aircon set up from one to the other is it a huge job on a t4 ?

I am potentially doing his but like to know any stumbling blocks along the way..!! Cheers in advance

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Its a pretty big job! Sure someone on here fitted climatronic from a european van, so its doable just hard. You'll need to get the system discharged safely, then replace the drier and get it regassed when you've got it in the new van.

Wiring shouldnt be too hard, it probably just plugs into the fusebox but you may need to separate the aircon wiring out from the rest of the loom in the donor van.

Its probably a dash-out job, and you may need to cut holes in the bulkhead to run the ac pipes through it. Obviously you will need to swap the compressor from the one engine to the other - fine if they're the same sort of engine, but if one is a 1.9 and one is a 2.5 you will need to get the appropriate brackets and stuff.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks for the reply, they are both same year t4 2.5tdi so anything i need i can swap straight over if need be but already sounds like a big job !!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just came across another thread called retrofit aircon..sounds like a nightmare job so not sure will happen !!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have done it.
If you are only fitting the front air con it is pretty straight forward.
You need to remove the dash and the dash brace, cut a hole in the bulkhead.
Thats the hardest part, the rest is just plug and play including all of the wiring.

If you plan to install the full AC system including the rear blower(rear AC air) and the mid blower(Rear hot air) then it is a massive job.
You need to remove the fuel tank, subframe, exhaust, exhaust heat shield, rear suspension arm and drop the engine off of its mounts just to get the pipe run in place.
The work is not difficult for a competent home mechanic but it will take a lot of effort and time, plus you need the equipment to get the van off of the floor and strip lots of heavy parts.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thanks for the info..i had decided it would be too big a job but having read that now i'm considering it again..it would be just the basic front aircon from one van to another and not getting involved in any climate control or rear heating and cooling caravelle style stuff !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts