VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm swapping out my old coolbox (Reggio SKA 35) for a 2 way compressor fridge (Webasto CR49 elegance) having finally saved up enough money to buy one! I'm getting a qualified electrician to do the electrical connections (12v to LB and 230V hookup) but need to do a bit of prep to accommodate the new fridge.

First I need to disconnect the van (T4 1.9 TD) battery before removing the old coolbox. Not done this before. Is there anything I need to worry about like operational stuff resetting itself once I reconnect? There is the option of just turning off the leisure battery + hookup circuitbreaker instead...

Secondly, before I put the new fridge in I need to cut 100mm circular holes in the cupboard units to allow for ventilation - 1 near the bottom and one higher up on the other side (see bottom pic). I'll need to do this with the cupboards in situ (too much stuff to remove and disconnect otherwise). I have borrowed a 100mm Forstner bit for my drill. Any tips on using this effectively?

Lastly (sorry for the essay!) Fig1. shows what appears to be an air gap inbetween the base of the cabinet and the van? Do you think this is vital? Blatantly there isn't anything like this in my units. The cupboard next door to the fridge unit that I'll drill the vent hole in the side of does have a circular drop out vent to the exterior in the floor though.

Thanks!
Emma

Rectangle Line Parallel Drawing Diagram

Current coolbox/cupboard layout for info:

Product Tints and shades Automotive design Auto part Gas

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,888 Posts
Make sure your "qualified electrician " knows to use 6mm cable for the 12 volt connections!!!
VERY important, as the "rating" of the fridge, when running, only needs 1.5 cable, but it really does need 6mm for its startup current.
Many people have found this out after a costly repair of the control circuit!

Forstner bits are a PITA at that size unless used in a pillar drill.
Better to buy a 100mm circular hole cutter....and use on low speed.

The more ventilation you can get at the back of the fridge, the more efficient it will be.
Not sure, but I would guess that Fig 1 & 2 were an either/or configuration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts