VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum and owner of newly purchased 2015 T5.1. I am looking to hardwire my dashcam into a switched live fuse but cannot seem to find one in the fusebox located below the cup holder. Here's a photo of the fusebox:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum and owner of newly purchased 2015 T5.1. I am looking to hardwire my dashcam into a switched live fuse but cannot seem to find one in the fusebox located below the cup holder. Here's a photo of the fusebox:

Thanks in advance.
What sort of power cable does it have? Mines a USB so I put a USB plug in the glove box and piggy backed off fuse 19 as mentioned by the other guys, that way I can unplug it if ever I need to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a cigarette lighter 12 volt lead at the moment. I've also read that many people use a permanent live connection so they can use the parking mode of their dashcam. Has anyone got experience of this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Buy a hardwire kit from Halfords, comes with the 2 sizes of piggy back fuse taps, the 12v to 5v regulator and the lead that plugs into the dash cam. Piggy back off fuse 19.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's a cigarette lighter 12 volt lead at the moment. I've also read that many people use a permanent live connection so they can use the parking mode of their dashcam. Has anyone got experience of this?
Some dashcams have a clever parking mode that require a permanent and a switched live (Viofo A119 for example) - it requires a special hardwire kit as the control signals passed up the USB lead/connector are not conventional/standard USB power.

I've fitted one in another car and it works well. The principles would be the same in a T5. In my case I tested the behavior of empty fuse slots (they often have supply side wiring in) to find a pair I needed, Switched live, and permanent live, I then used regular spade connectors on the end of a pair of inline fuses that popped into the fuse socket with no problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
oh, and the hardwire kits has a voltage sensing circuit that will shut down the camera totally if the battery voltage drops below a certain (selectable) value

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All fitted in fuse 19 and dashcam works perfectly. Thanks for all your input and can't wait to move onto my next project on the van.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts