VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body else had grief with fitting a swivel base?

I have caravelle bases, they differ to others, they have mushroom bolts at the front, and small raised tapped tubes for the seat fixing.

Firstly i have to shave them off, drill and counter bore the holes, then re tap.

The two front pegs needed bashing to move them clear.

Then i had clearing problems with the seat belt, i needed to removed the slider bracket fixed to the seat base, chop the base of the seat belt clip, weld back either side, to prevent the annoying wobble, then spray mat black.

works a treat , but so much for an after market swap job, rubbish, did anybody else struggle with there fitting? regards Eugene

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
never heard of similar problems to yours ??? the only difference i knew of was early and later bases,is the difference not maybe down to late bases and early swivels or vice versa

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
I've just changed over my front seats but had no issues like that, i assumed all bases were the same.
bases up to 1996 have the seatbelt reciever on the side of the base and 1996 onwards have it bolted to the seat,floor fitting bolts are all in the same place but seat bolt holes are different on both

·
Registered
652 Posts
Can anyone recommend who does good ones?
Can you buy replacement seats and swivel bases from VAG, are the third party ones just cheaper??
(wondered where you got the ones that are giving grief from?)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thx T4 virgin.........ordered a 97 onwards this morn.....went out to have a look at my seats after reading ur description of the 2 different types and it would seem i have a pre 97 passenger and post 97 driver....lol least i can send it right back for the right swivel, dont fancy the cutting and welding that fixwheelmad had.

tu88ie

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dont, wish to seem a downer, it just seems the sales pap indicate that its a swap.

Clearly that's not the case, and a little fettle does not amount to what i had to do.

I have a 97 bus, however with most multivan and caravelle, the interior is not date driven, its parts bin driven, counter to what most people say, eg i had a earlier seat.

I should have tried on a spare base, so lesson learned, i guess.

I have to say, it works, its great and there no side rattle or movement in either swivel or lock mode.

Give it a go by all means, but just wanted to know if any body else had same problems.

The swivel is a fasp, nice good quality.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts