VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had both front seats converted to swivel bases by CoTrim and now wanting to fit a leisure battery I find the max height under the swivel seat to floor in my '62' plate T5 is 165mm, nothing like enough to get a reasonable size battery under the seat. Having never used the drivers swivel seat it seems to make sense to swap it back to the original fixed base ... which I don't have.

I the base made for o/s and/or n/s, may I assume the raised hand brake would need to be reverted back to original (is this a case of removing something or replacing something) ?

Is there some one out there who has an original VW fixed drivers base ... who'd like a swivel base unit ... perhaps we could mutually help each other ...

Your suggestions appreciated ... if interested in my base, let me know, thanks, FRZblue.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
What type of seat base is fitted and what is in the way underneath?
We have sportscraft swivels which is actually a swivel plate that is fitted between the standard seat and base. This can easily be removed by just unbolting the bits and reassembling again without the swivel plate.
The handbrake is fitted with an adapter to lower it and again can simply be unbolted and returned back to standard without need for an new parts .
Sometimes the swivel bases have a big pivot nut and bolt through the centre of them that limits space beneath....some have this set-up the other way around so the clearance beneath is not compromised.
Hope this helps .

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
What type of seat base is fitted and what is in the way underneath?
We have sportscraft swivels which is actually a swivel plate that is fitted between the standard seat and base. This can easily be removed by just unbolting the bits and reassembling again without the swivel plate.
The handbrake is fitted with an adapter to lower it and again can simply be unbolted and returned back to standard without need for an new parts .
Sometimes the swivel bases have a big pivot nut and bolt through the centre of them that limits space beneath....some have this set-up the other way around so the clearance beneath is not compromised.
Hope this helps .
Unless some genius has welded them together 🤬
Anyhoo back to the topic at hand, after I'd I bought my van one of the chaps at Transporter Hq sat in it and said that my seat bases had been lowered (which now makes me think I'll be snookered when I come to add a leisure battery), my point is, it's worth if someone can measure their clearance to make sure your bases haven't been modified before you rework the set up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
How tight is the budget? There are battery options which can lay on their sides or even Lithium cells which could fitted into the space too.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
hi all, anyone with a photo showing drivers swivel with handbrake position...many thanks john

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,446 Posts
hi all, anyone with a photo showing drivers swivel with handbrake position...many thanks john
This is with a Rib swivel without the spacer bars fitted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts