VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting swivel plates on my birthday list ,I've never seen any fitted ,under my single front seats I've got a second battery under one and a amp under the other would these have to be moved to fit the plates ,any pictures would be great,thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
Battery height is typically an issue with swivel plates. Plates usually sit level on the top of the seat base (possibly with a wide nut or similar protruding downwards where the two plates join). To get a rough idea of what issues you might face, pop your seat off and use a flat piece of wood as a level across both sides of the seat base top

·
previously known as: baggit
812 Posts
I have the same things under my seats and is fine but very much depends on the battery you have, as others have said, got yourself a spline tool and 13mm Socket and take your seat out to have a check, careful of the spline bolts when ou take them out as they have some play in them and is they aren't straight you can damage the thread.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I presume you haven't got units etc down offside of the van, if you have try to look at some photos of swivel drivers seats, you don't get a great deal of swivel for you money unless you like looking out the sliding door window, if you have got units you could consider just the passenger side.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No haven't any units I take it that the drivers seat fouls on the steering wheel?

·
Registered
396 Posts
No haven't any units I take it that the drivers seat fouls on the steering wheel?
No, the RH captains arm needs to be down or it will foul while turning, but other than that (and the handbrake a) needing to be lowered and b) in the 'off' position while turning) that's it. Units would get in way of your legs if they're full length

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a problem with my Speedcraft passenger swivel plate fouling the battery. Basically the swivel has two reinforcing plates about 8mm thick across the swivel which protrude below the face of the top of the seat base, the rear one clashing nicely with the battery. It is already the shallowest 110Ah battery you can get at 170mm and it still interferes. Had to cut the lower edges of the seat base to allow he full width batery to drop below the seat base so that it fully sits on the van floor and trim the flooring and bash down some of the reinforcing bumps on the floorpan. It was a right pita!l worth it though despite all the work.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can you get a kit to lower the hand brake and is doing it muppet proof!
There are two options: use a bracket kit, or cut off and re-weld the mount on the seat base. Both will need some cutting of the lower plastics. The bracket option doesn't come with instructions and the hardest bit is working out how it fits :confused: These pictures might help. You'll also need to adjust the handbrake cable after fitting, quite a bit of slack needs taking up

·
Registered
87 Posts
The swivel will have to be packed up by 20mm to clear the battery,I had some spacers made for mine,2 which have an 8mm tread taped in and the other 2 with an 8mm hole in,you will also need to run longer 12.9 hi tensile bolts,mine has a Sports Craft swivel base and an original VW 2nd battery and seat base.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts