VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Popped down to touch of class the other day to find out about them fitting rear seats for me, while talking and looking around the store area, I was told about a double front seat base swivel !!! They showed me how it worked , and was simple to use! I will be getting one of these ASAP ( well when I save a few quid ) you can move your front double seats to any position yo like, as I'm having rear seats put in this will be great for the mrs to turn and face the kids while traveling . Also if I'm ever camping or chilling out in the van with a few people , I can make full use of the double seats !! Yes it acts the same as a front single swivel seat , but it's the first I've seen to fully utilise a double front seat .
I took a few pics ( to show the wife) and to post on here for you guys and girls !! Ha ha
Price I was told is £350 fitted !!

I'm not to sure if you can buy them to fit yourself, didn't get to ask that SOz ! But I did take a pick with all touch of class details on I case you want any mor info ! T:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I wonder why they were so quiet when everyone, myself included, was q'ing up for the Kiravans one?
I wondered that too...they only got mentioned after my K'vans seat arrived, but now they've got mention in quite a few posts.

Shame, as the ToC seat looks interesting in that it slides - could make using the double seat for dining much better - so I might well have gone down the ToC route.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wondered that too...they only got mentioned after my K'vans seat arrived, but now they've got mention in quite a few posts.

Shame, as the ToC seat looks interesting in that it slides - could make using the double seat for dining much better - so I might well have gone down the ToC route.
I'm thinking they were quiet when Kiravan first sold theyers as ToC could of been getting there's crash tested at that point ? And yes I've got the ToC in mine and dinning is much better . I love it , I love it , I love it :cool:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I spoke to them about four weeks ago and they were getting them tested the next week. I am assuming that they had a pull test and not a crash test? I thought a crash test required wrecking a van? Who but the largest of companies can afford that? I think the Kiravans one is pull tested and not crash but I am happy to be proved wrong.

They do look a bit easier to swivel though. If I'm being honest I think, if it had come on the market sooner, I might have gone for that design. They spent a lot of time posting on here before they were actually selling it, which put me off.

I don't like people using indirect methods of advertising or pushing a product. But I got the impression that is what they were doing. Giving the appearance that the product was already there and ready to purchase when it wasn't. Probably to guage interest before investing but underhand nevertheless.

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
If they had had it available in time it would have been worth a look certainly. I just wanted to be able to swivel the seat, the other attributes don't really interest me but if fitting and swivelling was easier than the Kiravans model I would have been interested. The fitting of the Kiravans one left me pretty annoyed to be honest despite looking and feeling like a well made piece of kit. I still need to glue one of the knobs back on as well.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
YD don't glue the knob back on. I wrote to Kiravans and they sent me another complete fitting and a PDF of how to fit it. Thing with sticking it back on is that it might just come loose again. I've done the same, its stuck but I've kept the spare just in case.

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
In theory it would be safer and there would still be a functioning seatbelt. Whichever way the seat is facing it is still secured with 8 identical bolts so ought to be fine. Very unlikely it was tested that way round though so in that respect insurers wouldn't be happy. I doubt you would pass an MOT with the seat facing the wrong way either.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
In theory it would be safer and there would still be a functioning seatbelt. Whichever way the seat is facing it is still secured with 8 identical bolts so ought to be fine. Very unlikely it was tested that way round though so in that respect insurers wouldn't be happy. I doubt you would pass an MOT with the seat facing the wrong way either.
if the seat is facing the rear,then the seatbelt will do nothing,as the person in the seat will be thrown against the back of the seat,and not the seatbelt,infact i think an accident with the seat facing the wrong way would snap the seat back :*

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
if the seat is facing the rear,then the seatbelt will do nothing,as the person in the seat will be thrown against the back of the seat,and not the seatbelt,infact i think an accident with the seat facing the wrong way would snap the seat back :*

The seat belt would still be needed to keep you in the seat as you will still be thrown around in an impact or if the vehicle spun or rolled. If the seatback can withstand the forces in a collision facing forwards it is likely to work facing backwards as well. Don't forget the bench seat has the seatbelt mount for both buckles and one of the upper mounts so must have been designed to take the stress. I can't imagine the components were designed to be weaker when stressed from the opposite direction.

·
Registered
640 Posts
NOT good idea :eek: the seat will only lock in possition via 3 bolts in the forward possition. the 3 bolts will fit in to the lockin nuts to stop the seat from sliding whilst in the reverse posiition but dont go through the swivel plate section hence the seat will still try to ratate and spin, when moving, as for the seat belts when facing backwards theres only 1 correct working belt and thas the 1 on the seat. I guess if driving through a park I.E longleat or similar is ok :* but not advisable on the road.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I don't think it is underhand advertising either.

If I buy something and am happy with it then I would let other members know, whether or not the trader asked me for a positive shout.

Here goes with some unsolicited advertising:-

Thank you Mr. Dubflecta for the sleeks. Great!

Thank you Mr. IconAuto for the EGR blanking plates. Excellent quality.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for some positive posts !!! It is not in anyway advertising by myself !! I am a normal guy with a normal job ( motor paint sprayer ) and in my opinion if somone has somthing done to they're t5 , or know of somthing that can be done, well what are these forums for ???? Ain't it better to go and buy somthing or have somthing done , when you know before hand weather it works or not !! I know I would !! I drove down to Devon yesterday from south Wales to have seats fitted in the rear of my van by a company called transporter depot , now I never knew these guys , and seeing a couple of post on here about them , I was confident of going all that way for my seats , and fair play they done a grand job !! Now if somone sees this and is thinking of going there, well they would feel a little more confident !! Ps I'm The boss of autoscuffs care repair garage in south Wales !!! Ha ha

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
The seat belt would still be needed to keep you in the seat as you will still be thrown around in an impact or if the vehicle spun or rolled. If the seatback can withstand the forces in a collision facing forwards it is likely to work facing backwards as well. Don't forget the bench seat has the seatbelt mount for both buckles and one of the upper mounts so must have been designed to take the stress. I can't imagine the components were designed to be weaker when stressed from the opposite direction.
i hear where your coming from,but when the seat is turned round,and facing the wrong way,and the vans in an accident,the person will be thrown away from the tension of the seatbelt,so the belt will do nothing,however would work great if he crashed going backwards :*

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
i hear where your coming from,but when the seat is turned round,and facing the wrong way,and the vans in an accident,the person will be thrown away from the tension of the seatbelt,so the belt will do nothing,however would work great if he crashed going backwards :*
Well I was thinking of all those adverts for seat belts that show the crash dummies being thrown forwards initially and then backwards so the seat belt would have an effect in that way. Rear facing seats are safer but the only transport I remember seeing them on are trains and RAF VC10 aircraft. The trouble with the train of course is the bloke facing you will come hurtling right at you with the force of a baby elephant in a crash! :eek:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Well I was thinking of all those adverts for seat belts that show the crash dummies being thrown forwards initially and then backwards so the seat belt would have an effect in that way. Rear facing seats are safer but the only transport I remember seeing them on are trains and RAF VC10 aircraft. The trouble with the train of course is the bloke facing you will come hurtling right at you with the force of a baby elephant in a crash! :eek:
The initial force of the crash would mean the passenger is thrown full force in to the back of the seat,this would no doubt break the seat back (Resulting in who knows what injuries,even at 40mph crash,i dread to think),the person would not be thrown the other way back in to the seatbelt,as in a normal facing seat, its being thrown in to the seatbelt that throws the person backwards in to the seat. it is a definete no no,to drive with mrs facing the kids :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts