VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just doing a bit of research really, I was wondering how hard it would be to convert my 2.5ACV to syncro power (or full time 4wd) as I am making the move to the French Alps permanently and would like to keep the van, but desire all wheel drive for the conditions out here!

Any help would be much appreciated! As my other option is a T5 4 motion.....dont really fancy the darkside yet!

Stu

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
syncro running gear new is expensive, so you would want a donor syncro which is expensive and rare, and you might as well just use the whole van because unless you can convert yourself it will be expensive to get your van syncro'd. some of the late 2wd's have front electonic diff lock, or you could just get really good tyre's the t4 is good in bad condition's anyway IF you know how to drive in bad condition's, if you don't, a syncro will still easily get stuck!
i would look for a left hooker syncro in europe. the ultimate vw would be the type 25 syncro out in the alp's

·
Registered
379 Posts
In simple terms and as already suggested...from a practical perspective, it isn't worth the effort and expense to do the conversion. It is certainly do-able however.

It'd be cheaper & easier in the long run to get a 4motion T5...

·
Registered
552 Posts
saw a german t4 california at vanfest the guy had converted to 4wd.

looked sweet as!!

as you say its costly but a van with a front end tap would be a great find...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Snow tires and a good set of easy to fit chains in the van.
Its been my first winter living out in the alps, and the T4 has been excellent in the snow.
Drove up to Lans en vercors (up a mountain next to Grenoble) in a full on Blizzard with 5" of snow on the road. Didnt even bother with the chains until the next day, the T4 copes very well in the snow (Its front wheel drive with its 5 pot limp mounted forward of the front axle after all)

If you realy wanted 4wd, buying a syncro would deffo be your best bet. Even on german ebay (the t4 gold mine that it is) i have never seen a full syncro set up. Occasionally a rear diff or a syncyo gear box will turn up, but they always go for a fortune.

Another thing to remember is that they are super efficient with the ploughs here. If you are blocked by snow in the morning, just wait an hour and the plough will be by. Up by mine they go as far as ploughing the communal car parks for the blocks of flats and they have special mini ploughs for the pavements.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Got a full syncro set up for mine (was on a pallet) off of ebay for 350, there where a few bits miss but the main bits are there.

Its currently going onto my van, albeit had to have a custom sump made due to having the 1.8 20v turbo motor in mine.

To be honest if you had all the bits then its relatively simple to do. engine out is the easiest way aswell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts