VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my rear outer CV boots are split, from lowering it with cheap springs and then then loading it up with ****....(as you do with a van)

so, ordered 2 new ones from the dealer, for an extortionate £50, as the guy at the motor factors couldn't get them.

removed both shafts today. **** design. cv wouldn't knock off, and the boot has a metal collar on it, pressed onto the outer CV.

reason it won't knock off is because it's got a circlip on the end, and you have to dismantle the cv joint to get at it. stupid and totally unnecessary.

went to fit the new one...noticed all the clips in the box where different. and the boot was nothing like the right size or design.....joy.

rings vw and told them the problem. the answer "ah, those are front outer cv's you've got there"

they then proceed to tell me that i cant buy the outer Cv's or the boots, and i have to buy new half shafts (no inner cv)...only £250.....each...plus vat!!!!!

I now have a 2wd t4 syncro......

i'd considered getting some from the motor factors that are near enough the right size, but i don't think there's room on the wishbone to clear a clip....

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I might be breaking a 2.4 lwb white syncro soon, all good under there! Got the van but cant decide if its a breaker or a keeper becasue the running gear is good, but the shell needs some rust treatmentI:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well please bear me in mind re the rear shafts if you do decide to break it. i might have the diff off you too if it's all cheap enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts