VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing if anyone has gone out on a limb with this, as I'm really thinking about it at the moment.

In short getting the syncro wheel carrier for the back doors is daft money from VW. Didn't price it all up but it got scary quickly so I ran away.

I've also been searching on here and I've seen the bolt on Type 2 mount used on the doors. fair play but I'm worried about overstressing the hinges. I'd like to use the back doors a fair bit.

Shot in the dark time.

has anyone used, modified, adpated, whatever, a fold out carrier from another vehicle? Plenty of wrecked 4X4's and stuff out there.

I know there would be a potential issue with the size and more than likely the pillar stiffenning plates used in the syncro.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
518 Posts
the factory install ( which i have) uses internal plates that are welded into the D posts, these have captives for the external brackets and hold all the wheel bracket.

Best of luck finding a factory one, the last i saw on Fleabay went for over £600 euro, i have reconditioned mine, new powdercoat and bushes so intend keeping it, BTW it put no stress of pressure on any of the doors.

Regards

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah thanks guys. I've seen that and I'll be honest both VW and the custom ones there are a little rich for my pocket at the moment. Shame

just wondering if someone has done something completely off the wall for a lot less wonga.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm going to design and make my own, so depending on cost I may be able to offer a few for sale.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fair play Phatty

Stainless / chromed would be nice - says he with budget issues :*

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
fair play Phatty

Stainless / chromed would be nice - says he with budget issues :*
same and same!

500 bucks is WAY too much for some tubing, two hinges and a catch. Yeah theres some ali blocks, and a locking catch but really - £500 bucks?!?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
well, i'm going to get the place who made the roll cage in my corrado to do the bending, so it'll all be CNC mandrel bent.

CNC machined mounts, bolted though the hinges so you don't have to drill into the van.

oh, and I'm a draughtsman by trade, and my mate is a fabricator welder, so I can't see any of it being an issue. no plans to do stainless or chrome, as I can get powdercoating done on the cheap.

Watch this space, as soon as i get a new PC and get the cad working i'll put some designs up so we can get our heads together an work out what's best.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool Phatty

Let me know if you need a hand. I might be able to look at some of the weights etc. Engineer in abnormal life.

Very interested here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts