VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,
I was thinking of converting my perfectly running syncro, to 2 wheel drive ....

By replacing the gear box and removing the rear transmission , could I gain the extra power and economy to make it worth while .
Considering I don't make much use of the 4 wheel drive , am I mad .

It really does have a lot diff performance to it 2 wheel drive brother with its higher gearing and less drag .

Any thoughts appreciated .

Cheers .

·
Registered
260 Posts
aren't you going to seriously devalue it? plus it's heck of a lot of work, sell as a Synchro and get a totally inflated price because it is a Synchro and buy a 2wd, simples!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have advertised it here in Ireland with the plan to buy 2 wheel drive but I'm not getting any offers , much over what I would pay for 2 wheel drive really , plus I'd have to redo all my fine conversion work again . I do about 15,000 a year (short journeys) and I'm only getting about 25 mpg .

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I do about 15,000 a year (short journeys) and I'm only getting about 25 mpg .
that mpg sounds like it could be improved... I do the same 15 miles each way 5 times a week and get around 34mpg out of my 2001 2.5 lwb syncro (100k) - any holes in the exhaust... egr blank... tyre pressure ok.. etc? could try some diesel rhino in it - made no difference to mpg for me (though does run quiter and a lot less smoke - I've tried running it with and without) might be different for you (worth a punt anyway?)

I had the crank shaft pully, ball joints and wishb one brushes replaced on mine over the last 6 weeks (ouch) and although I've only filled up twice since then i seem to have gained an extra 1mpg:* (though i'm really waiting to compare that over a few more fillups) - is your motor running sweet? (i'm trying to get a (personal) holy grail of 38mpg out of mine)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's 2.5 acv , egr blanked , cat removed , it's got BFG AT tyres which wouldn't be the best for mpg . It seems to run ok but way slower than standard 2 wheel drive acv.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check the pump timing is bang on, any vacum leaks or intercooler pipework leaking check afm is reading ok, get a decent remap from a good company recommend torquetronics up north, my syncro was a tad lighter on diesal than my 2wd I have now, havent solved why just yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts