VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had problems driving into a steep muddy field, my front wheels were on mud and my back wheels were on tarmac. I was getting spin at the front and no drive at the back and a T4 syncro should transfer power to the back wheels when there is slip the front.

Tested my VC by jacking the front wheels off the floor, putting some wood under the back wheels and running the van in 1st gear. If the VC is ok it should start to climb the wood if you raise the revs slightly. Mine stood stationary for around 2 minutes before it decided to climb the wood. Here is my second attempt a couple of minutes later, the VC was already hot so it took around 30 seconds to engage drive to the back wheels this time.

Anyway it looks like my VC is shot as it shouldn't behave like this. I phone VW for a price for a new one, wait for it. £1970 + VAT :eek: I've contacted a garage in Switzerland which do repairs to VCs on other vehicles and the T3 Syncro so I'm hoping they can sort out one from a T4.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
my old golf country was like that, the 4wd on it was garbage, fonr wheels used to spin like mad before it'd do anything. the t4 on the other hand is excellent, it feels like it sends drive tothe rear almost instantly, feels more like my audi quattro

I do love 4wd :) even my corrado is a syncro, had a v6 4motion before that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts