VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading my 1993 T4 motor home from 2.4 auto to 2.5 TDI manual .I will be selling my old unit .You can hear it running before it is removed by a VW tech ,the gearbox has the usual issues only done 70 k .Can ship to UK by pallet carrier for about £100 to £150 any one interested message me, [email protected] .. any advice on the swap ?? also breaking a crew cab pickup .we are in Inverness .New to this forum a good source of information thanks to you all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first T4 camper was a Compass Calypso 2.4D manual and it was spoiled by lack of power although it was okay once above about 45-50mph, even on Argyll's many hills.

A week ago I bought a SWD T4 Autosleeper Clubman GL with the 2.5tdi 103bhp engine and the performance is excellent. (they are about the same size and weight and identical interior layout. Averages 32-34mpg.

My suggestion is to look for a very early ACV engine like the mine (1999 reg) because:

1) No immobiliser - so less hassle to get it running
2) No cat - to clog up or spoil the performance

You may have to fit a switch to the clutch but otherwise the engine management side should be straightforward.

I think from around 2000, they fitted a cat and immobiliser so the engine ecu is different and probably more work to get running. (be a different engine code)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts