VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Can Anyone HELP!I would like to know where the LAMBDA SENSOR is located on my van? Does a 1993 2.0 model have a CAT?Recent problems have developed that begin when the engine has warmed up,fails to rev and drive under load,but is ok when stationary.Can a Ignition coil be the fault? Will be grateful for any response,Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks isobelle,took a look but cannot locate any wires coming off the exhaust pipe,can I assume this model has no Cat? Do All Transporters post T3 era have a Cat fitted?The bloke I bought the van off mentioned that he had the exhaust system renewed a couple of years back.Are there products on the market that would eliminate the need for the Cat inclusion?

·
Registered
269 Posts
My van is an August 1993 2.0L AAC. The cat was introduced very close to the build date of my van, but mine is a pre-cat model. The manual shows a downpipe, front (tubular) silencer and then two further oval silencers, mid and rear. When I bought my van the front silencer, just after the downpipe, was rotten and needed replacing. I was unable to find any supplier which listed this box, they all told me it didnt exist, even though I had one and it is shown in the manual diagram. Eventually I bought what they said was the "correct" item, an "L" shaped plain pipe the same shape and size as the pipe with silencer (but no silencer). The pipe fitted on fine each end with the remaining exhaust system, clamp each end. I can only think that the front silencer was decided to be surplus to requirements and discontinued, after all there are still two silencer boxes, mid and rear. Hope this is of some help. I have no idea what separates the pre-cat from the cat models, or how the MOT station knows, perhaps its linked to the VIN or registration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks phot,that has put my mind at rest concerning Cat issue.NOW the more pressing issue is the fault that after the van has warmed up,it developes erratic throttling,I try to go faster but the bus responds by what sounds like misfirring and lack of power,changed plugs,coil,air filter,but still giving me grief.Any Ideas WELCOME.

·
Registered
648 Posts
try relay no 18, causes loads of poor running issues
Other options are 2 pin temp sensor (always worth changing on a petrol T4, although sounds a bit severe for this), TPS (throttle position sensor), fuel pump relay. Could be a wiring fault to one of the sensors also. While you're at it, change the small bore vac pipes from inlet manifold to fuel pressure regulator & ECU (MAP sensor). If all these are okay you'll start checking injectors/fuel pressure/dynamic ignition timing etc.

Have you got access to a VAGCOM or a friendly garage? You will probably have the older 2x2 diags connector right in the top of the fuse box which can be used to interrogate the ECU with the right kit. Might offer some clues.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thank you all for the really helpful info that you have posted.

It was out of fuel!!! Just as I touched the wire yesterday it coughed and died, so muggins here thought that it was me that broke it. The first thing I asked my son was did it have any juice in her, coz I know he runs on fumes.....He assured me that the fuel light hadn't come on (it hadn't come on because he hasn't got one) I have re connected and had every sensor off, dropped the batt leads off last night to reset the ecu faffed about today and decided to put a gallon in her and she fired up straight away so a big red face here

Thanks again for your time and trouble

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to One and All who have took time to respond to my thread,it,s Good to know there are fellow enthusiasts out there.Adding to the ever increasing Levy on my forever dwindling funds is a set of ignition leads and fuel filter...On the advice listed,can anyone suggest a Good stockist for throttle posistion sensor.Also wanted to ask about Coil pack,was changed with a 2nd hand one by the mechanic who advised changing the previous one,Does this have to be a part no.replacement or will any coil pack from a VW do?I ask because although it is a VW original coil it does seem hot after I have been trying to drive the bus.There is also a feed from the negative terminal to the coil which has been joined to the 3 wire pin?I cannot understand why this wire has been taped and joined any mistake there?I wanted to ask about the TPS,will the engine throttle as normal, when not under load,ie driving?if the sensor is capput?I know it seems like I ask too many ?? but I value All responses.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I had issues with poor running which turned out to be the fuel pump relay (30 I think). I recently had a misfire under load when the engine was hot...turned out to be a plug lead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts