VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've just joined the forum having been an owner of a customised T25 Pickup it's now time for me to put my sensible head on.

Im after a little advice I've been looking at getting a T4 panel van. im wanting to do a conversion (no suprise there) I hear you say. Im planning on doing lots of camping and raod trips. Will I be better getting a 1.9 SWB or a 1.9TDI SWB. Is there much differnce in the power etc.
ILU:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Either will be an improvement on the T25. for info though it's a 1.9TD not TDi on the T4. Small difference in name but a big difference in power and tuneabilty compared to the 1.9TDi golfs that go rattling past. Had both engines and neither are going to burn away from the lights but are easy to live with (cheap and easy to work on). For a basic (ie light) camper conversion both will happily sit at 70 -80 on the motorway. If you get the choice and the moneys about the same I would go for the TD as you can easily turn up the fuel and turbo slighty (takes about 30mins start to finish) and it makes it much easier on the long hills with affecting MPG or reliability:gl.

They don't handle as well as my old T25 but power steering, 5th gear, 80MPH and MPG in the 30's more than makes up for that.

Good luck

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David,

Thank you for your response Im keeping my eyes open for a 1.9td but all depends on how well my T25 goes on ebay which finishes tomorrow morning. Will keep you posted..

Many thanks

Andy

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

Well just an update, alas my T25 didn't sell on ebay today which was more upsetting then annoying so i've relisted etc so will have to wait and see.

With regards to why 1.9 not 2.5 i've not idea to be honest apart from the 2.5 all seem to be out of my price range at the moment.

Cheers for all the welcoming messages.

Andy:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts