VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I joined the forum last week and got some great advice about some questions I had :) Thanks again guys!

I am interested to hear from anyone who swapped from a T25 Camper to a T4 Camper, as this is something I am STILL thinking of doing.

What are the pluses and minuses for you guys?

I guess I am wanting something more reliable and comfortable for longer trips. BUT i have a nice T25 and should I hold onto it, as the prices do seem to be increasing all the time and becoming sought after.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I haven't owned a T25 so can't help in that respect but if it's possible I would definately hold on to the 25, it seems every classic VW is an investment at the mo T:.

·
Registered
253 Posts
is your T25 petrol or diesel? my mate had (just written off by some doppy woman) a really nice T25 westy 1.6td and i have a T4 westy and i have to say from a practical camping point of view there is more room in the T25:eek: having owned a T25 pickup in the past i loved the ride but would always worry about seam rot hence why i have a T4 (not to say they dont rot). his westy was awesome on fuel aswell, better than my diesel T4 doka is and that does 36mpg. if you like your T25 and its not threatening to go rusty then keep it, why change for change sake

·
Registered
552 Posts
i have had 3 t3 s (correct name perleeese!!)

a aircooled, a karmann cheetah and a westy california.

now have a t4 california, and wouldnt go back, better performance, mpg, parts availability etc.

only - points, slightly smaller flor area and thats it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello All,
Thanks for the replies so far.

I have a 1988 1.6 TD, hightop. Drives well, had recon engine fitted last year etc, but a bit of a bone shaker and not comfortable driving for more than a couple of hours.

I sometimes love going for a spin in it, but if setting off on a trip the nervous "will it get us there" starts :eek:

I think it's probably the reliability of the T4 s which appeals, but then again the T4s are only as reliable if looked after, so in many respects not sure if I would get rid of the nagging doubt over breakdowns which kind of shadows over a trip.

More thinking to be done, that's for sure.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi

I had a 1988 Autohomes Kamper with the 1915cc petrol engine for 17 years and loved it. Plus points, plenty of room inside, plenty of room upstairs and reliable, minus points drank petrol (average over 17 years was 23 mpg), not very comfortable to drive long distances and started rusting around the screen.

I now have a 2003 2.5TDI which I am converting to a camper. Plus points are very comfortatable to drive long distances, economical (current average is about 35mpg with mainly local running - increases on longer runs), minus points not so much space inside (unless you go for a LWB). Would I go back now, no, definately not

Regards

Trevor

·
Registered
379 Posts
We used to have an 82 T3 camper with the 2 litre a/c lump, rebuilt for more power etc but still only did about 20mpg. It was fun to drive, chugging along in the endearing way they do. We did a lot in it for the 8 years or so we had it, including France, Sweden etc. It was a hobby in itself so I decided I wanted a camper for camping in not fixing up so much. Now have a LWB T4 with the 102 engine (upgraded a bit) that cruises at motorway speeds all day, comfortably, doing 35 to 40 mpg. Space is similar being LWB; T3 had sidelifting roof and we have had similar but lowline fitted. Feels much more spacious as there is more roof cut away and windows are bigger.
Was:

Now:

Vast improvement for us - hope to make it last for ever!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Ahhhh I sold my t25 and my mk4 golf to fund my t4. Needed one car that was better for every day and still a camper. Must admit miss the space in my t25 and I think she was a better camper. More room to move and a cupboards for all your bits and every thing had a place. The t4 are more snug.
I: I'd wished I had kept her. I look at t25 with fondness and want another one. Bit due to a change in circumstances I just could not run two vehicles. So the t4 is the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
552 Posts
seeing as we are banging pics up...
my old one (which is on ebay with its latest owner)

and the new one.....

a little less storage as its a pop top and about 200mm lees floor space but a completly different vehicle to own and drive,

im getting 40 mpg, its got aircon heated seats cruise etc etc

you can keep your t3s (saying that i have a mate building a bi turbod s4 motord one which should be amusing!!)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i same as many made the natural progression from the t3 to t4 , i just needed/wanted something a little newer and more reliable , do i miss it , hell yeah , although my current 1.9td now 1.9tdi that Ive owned for around 4 years has been a fantastic van i do still have a major soft spot for a t25 .. i fact i was passed by a german reg t25 on the motorway just last night which has got me thinking a new summer project might be on the cards .. T:

my old t25

the current t4

·
offside customs
1,818 Posts
t4 all the way fella. around town or just campin up t4 beats the lot. and is the best.
i too like the25 as playing with one at mo thats just me , but t4 will be the best van for years to come
so get one while you can lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am interested to hear from anyone who swapped from a T25 Camper to a T4 Camper, as this is something I am STILL thinking of doing.
Hi Mike, I am in the same boat as you mate. I have owned a T25 for 9 years but the time has now come to go for something a little more modern. I use my van for day to day use and whilst it wouldnt win any prizes at shows it gets plenty of admiring glances from friends and colleagues. I will miss the 'classic' feel of the T25 and the simplicity of design, cheap running costs reliability etc. I wont miss the slow 57 bhp engine, heavy steering and shockingly dim headlights

I am picking up my first T4 this week, with its 2.5 TDi engine, power steering, gleaming body work and allotys, cruise control etc etc. Sure its a head turner and more comfortable to drive (the Mrs may even get behind the wheel) but I doubt it will ever be a classic ....... though they probably said the same of the T25 when it was launched? :* If you are thinking of it then it probably meansits time to move on and try something newer .... you can always go back to the wedgies if you dont get on with it?

Good luck! T:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi we have just been through this change, we had well still have but is now for sael a 2.1 LHD T3 Magnum multivan, with LPG fuel. Was great but was spending a lot just keeping it oon the road, at the end of the day they are now getting old vehicles., so bit bullet and bought a 2.5 tdi 2003 plate T4 with 79K on the clock with full VWSH. It is so car like to drive and would not change for the world, so happy we made the decision, I still like the T3's and even prefer the shape especially the whitestar/redstar magnums etc, but we wanted to get rid of one car as well so made sense to get a modern t4. Really happy with it, looking to go off lots in it now and day to day use. H:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I owned a 1985 Type 25 1.6 Diesel Caravelle for 8 years (covering a 110000 miles-very slowly!) and I replaced it with a 2002 T4ex AA 2.5 tdi 3 years / 40000miles ago.

I think the design of the Type 25 is more appealing than the T4 in every way apart from the engine options, which all had their limitations. I was able to camp in my Type 25 in comfort and have plenty of storage space for all the camping equipment. I find the interior of my SWB T4 is really too small to camp in comfort and it doesn't have the room to store half of the camping equipment I used to carry in my Type 25.

I like my T4 as it does everything well and it is relatively cheap to run, but dare I say it just feels like an up market Transit van.

My ideal vehicle would be a Type 25 Caravelle Syncro fitted with a 2.5 tdi engine.

After all, proper VWs are rear engined!

·
Registered
87 Posts
i always want another t25....miss my old blue panel van like hell,my ideal van would be a t25 panel van with the dsg box and the 3.2 petrol 6 in the back .......A:A:A:A:A:A:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Went from an '81 2L aircooled T25 panel van with a camper interior to a 2001 1.9 T4 as we had a kiddie on the way and no rear belts etc in the T25. I miss the old bus as it had acres of room and rear wheel drive for sideways action in wet fields. I could get my two kayaks in the back of the T25 and just one in the T4. But the T4 is more reliable, warm and can sit at 70 on the motorway all day long. I don't regret the move but I still love the T25s.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have had T2s,T25s and now have a T4. Love the T4 however the T25 has character. My T25 was the 2.1 petrol model. I still prefer the looks but the T4 is a lot newer and does not suffer from the Water issues which I did have with the T25 3 times. T4 2.5 Petrol with an LPG Gas Coversion from Gasure, I get between 20 and 25 mpg. Gas price varies from .69 in Morrisons Sheffield and 0.789 in a local BP. .75 at BP Newark but they have competion from a farm selling it at .699 befor the tax reduction.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts