VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I read some conflicting thinks about using a T26 as a base vehicle and I'm about to buy a van like this, so I'd appreciate any feedback on suitability and would also like to hear from any T26 owners on whether the van has caused any issues

Ive been assured by the seller the the van will carry 5 passengers, luggage, fuel, water and gas, plus awning without a hiccup

Any comments on this, I'd like to hear a users experience

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Its simple really. Can you carry out any modifications that increase the weight of the base vehicle, and then stay under 2600kg fully laden with all the kit and passengers you intend to carry.
5 people with luggage could easily be 500kg. A full tank of fuel will be nearly 100kg, A camper conversion could add 200kg, more with a roof and solid bed etc.
Rear seats could be 100kg.
If in doubt, weigh the van.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,793 Posts
It depends how much you intend to kit it out. For comparison, my SWB fully converted camper with pop-top, with just driver and half a tank of petrol and no other load at all, weighs in at just under 2300 kilos. Obviously this doesn't leave you a lot of headroom once you have passengers and all their luggage plus a load of other camping gear on board...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi

I read some conflicting thinks about using a T26 as a base vehicle and I'm about to buy a van like this, so I'd appreciate any feedback on suitability and would also like to hear from any T26 owners on whether the van has caused any issues

Ive been assured by the seller the the van will carry 5 passengers, luggage, fuel, water and gas, plus awning without a hiccup

Any comments on this, I'd like to hear a users experience
Mine is a T26 which is adequate for two plus all the furniture and kit. It costs about £320 to uprate the carrying capacity to 2800kg,
I've done this as the van I bought has all the add ons I wanted like air con.
I think this is actually cheaper than a remap. It was certainly much cheaper than buying the T28 (if I could have found one at the time with all mod cons I wanted) as the price different more than covered the fees paid to SV Tech. You need Tyres and wheels rated at a minimum of 730kg each. thats it and of course the certificate and new weight 'plate from SV. I reckon on 4 adults (poptop fitted) and all the gear camping.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, the van is excellent as is the quality of the conversion. Given its just for the two if us and luggage I guess it will do the job. I may look at uprated springs later. The only other add on I'm missing is Bluetooth but I can sort that later too. I would have preferred a. t28 with Bluetooth and aircon but the price of these for a 5.1 is out of my range. I guess ill need work on an update plan to get the perfect van at some point

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks for that, the van is excellent as is the quality of the conversion. Given its just for the two if us and luggage I guess it will do the job. I may look at uprated springs later. The only other add on I'm missing is Bluetooth but I can sort that later too. I would have preferred a. t28 with Bluetooth and aircon but the price of these for a 5.1 is out of my range. I guess ill need work on an update plan to get the perfect van at some point
There was no need to uprate suspension on my T26 (2012), it was already adequate, axle weights are 1400kg and 1450kg hence no changes needed just a certificate from SV TECH (That why wheels and tyres need to be min. of 730kg) As i said cost about £320 for certificate.
http://www.svtech.co.uk/faq3.html
So you have options to increase the weight rating.
Bluetooth for phone is through my radio - I swapped standard one radio for Pioneer Double din unit with bluetooth etc (handsfree kit fitted too).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for all the advice, in the end I passed on the T26 and I've just bought a T28 feel happier about that and also this one is even better 2011 (61) with aircon and reversing sensors :) I'm picking it up next week once the front seat configuration has been changed to captains chairs.

Cheers for all the advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts