VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone done this?
I have been thinking about putting some 17" 'swamper' style wheels & AT tyres on my van (2014 T32 Kombi 4motion) but before I do this I will need (I assume) to put the van back to standard ride height to allow it sufficient tyre/wheel arch clearance (it is currently sitting on 50mm lowering springs - standard shocks).

I've been offered some springs off a low mileage T28 Kombi and have read somewhere that this can be an effective way of softening the harsh ride that you get from an unladen T32 on standard shocks & springs - mine is a pretty standard Kombi and rarely has anything much loaded in it other than on occasional camping trips.

I realise that the front shocks are different on a T32 but I believe the springs are the same in terms of physical size - obviously not in terms of rebound and weight carrying capacity, which doesn't really matter to me as the loaded weight of the van is generally very low and well within constraints even on these camping expeditions.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this?

Any advice/views welcome. :)

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think if you want to lower the load rating of the springs you’d have to inform dvla and get the gvw reduced. There are T28 kombi out there so it is possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John. Really kind offer - I'm weighing up my options at the moment but I may well take you up on that. I'd just need to find some fronts! :)
I always thought Sunday would be a better day to go - that way I wouldn't have to worry about going to work on the Monday.........

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
AT tyres will have a big impact on the ride comfort. I'd try stock suspension first. Softer springs would help too but combined with T32 dampers may leave the system a bit unmatched?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts