VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

Had my eye on getting a T5 camper for ages and as were running upto Christmas i thought it be a good time to get a good deal. Ive seen one locally, its a 2006 T28 84ps (64.000 miles). Its got a full professional conversion with cooker, fridge, Pop up roof and all that. The only thing that worries me is its the 84ps model, Is this going to be a slug with the conversion on it.

Asking price is £16000 but im sure i can haggle it.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ricc.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
the good thing about the 86ps model is thats it the same as the 102 model,so both will remap up to around the 130 mark,

it depends on what your driving now and how much you want to get places or cruise up the hills?

but there you go,thats my 2 pence worth.hope it helps.T:T:

in my opinion 86ps is too slow,thats what mine was,till i got it remapped by Martin at pendle performance,best money i have spent on my bus to date.I:I:I:I:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In short..No.
Remap it to 130. Mahooosive difference

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
As said, I have the 102Bhp, same engine (exactly is my understanding) except the ECU mapping.

£250 ish remap will give you a 102 or more (up to 130 ish) if you want it. Obviously 102Bhp is a very happy power output that VW are happy with, be prepared for possible (and I reiterate, only possible) problems with over boosting etc if you take it up to the max. Take the advice of a Remapping professional like Pendle Performance.

Think it's worth £13.5 - £14K it that's any help (got mine 2 months ago, very similar spec without the pop top so added a couple of K to the price I paid).

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the feedback guys.

Ive been having a nose on the net and i can now see theres plenty out there, I feel ive opened a Pandora box. I see a few good deals with higher milages, around the 130.000 is this a problem with a full service history.

·
Registered
93 Posts
its the same as mine and to be honest mines fine ,just done Glasgow to Hull and back with wife 2 kids and 4 dogs and it sat at 70 on the motorway fine didnt buy it to drag race tbo ,,i am more than happy with it and it was good on fuel ,
T:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the advise guys. The more ive looked aroundnow the one that cought my eye isnt such a good deal. iSeems to be plemty about. Is higher milage OK with a service history, say around 130000?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I would go for the low mileage one with the 84ps, its what ive got and its fine, not great power but enough and you could get it remapped if you want to.*<:)>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Personally, I would go for the lower milage, but there are plenty of vans with 180K - 220K around, but you will need to prepare yourself to spend more on maintenance as there will be more wear and tear on a higher miler.

Mines 75K in miles and drives like new. the difference between your 65K miler and a 130K miler is probably 3 years worth of running at 20K per year. If you're only doing 10K a year, that's nearly 7 years of motoring!

Good luck with wherever you decide.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i was close to getting one. Won an auction on ebay for a 2007 T5 fully trickout out with leather, wheels and stuff only 36000 miles for £8600. GoodI thought? No, did an HPI check and turned out to be a Cat C writeoff. Im taking it thats one to walk away from>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Always recorded on the records. I would walk away or only pay half of the market value as you may have trouble selling on one day.

There's a good one with your name on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
iv got t5 same as converted also plenty of poke cruise @ 80mph iv just had it chiped pro cost 200 pounds well worth it coz it gives me more torque @ bottom end now and dont have to look at changing down brill 34mpg also around town i use this every day ps i traded my r32 for this best thing

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Cheers for the advise guys. The more ive looked aroundnow the one that cought my eye isnt such a good deal. iSeems to be plemty about. Is higher milage OK with a service history, say around 130000?
i got a 08 t30. 102.bhp 101000 fsh from VW standard van and its sits at 80 at 2500 revs its mint was thinkin ov goin to pendle but its all good 4 now and its a blank canvace theres plenty good vans out there yours will come along mateT:T::D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pew, sure is hard working finding the right one. Not meny come up for sale up in Scotland. I spent all day going around garages chasing vans that didnt exist or turned out to be dogs youd have thought they would have fired off to auction. Got another T5 to see tomorrow. Wasnt looking for somthing this cheep but its a 54reg T30 2.5TDI with full electrics pack 124,000 miles for £4500, has to be worth a look.

Will let you know...

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Pew, sure is hard working finding the right one. Not meny come up for sale up in Scotland. I spent all day going around garages chasing vans that didnt exist or turned out to be dogs youd have thought they would have fired off to auction. Got another T5 to see tomorrow. Wasnt looking for somthing this cheep but its a 54reg T30 2.5TDI with full electrics pack 124,000 miles for £4500, has to be worth a look.

Will let you know...
Good price if it's a good one.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another dog... On my way home i went to a VW dealer to look at new ones, big mistake as its raised the bar right up, now im about £30,000 short of my ideal T5. Might need to sell my Navara to fullfil my shopping list. Awell back to the search.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Search the assured used ones on the VW website, we bought an 84ps 3 years old, just because the condition was great and very low mileage, U can always get it remapped if you find it struggles with an interior conversion fitted.

good luck with the search*<:)>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts