VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Fair play and a very entertaining write-up. I did wonder about heating but thought you were a 'down bag and jacket' fella. Hats off anyway, losing your wallet and lighting is a pretty insurmountable combination. Good luck in the home straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fair play and a very entertaining write-up. I did wonder about heating but thought you were a 'down bag and jacket' fella. Hats off anyway, losing your wallet and lighting is a pretty insurmountable combination. Good luck in the home straight.

I generally would be but i'm a logical man at heart. I did some pretty complicated maths and worked out;

Total cost of the Van = Constant T
Nights allowed to go away alone in the Van = the constant A
Nights away not alone in the Van = variable XXX
Comfort score out of 10 for the Van = variable C

If XXX approximates the relationship 3C and relative value of investment is 1/$, we get the equation

$ =T/(A+XXX) or $=T/(A+3C)

If the cost of the heater is H

I guesstimate

T+H/(A+XXX) < T/(A+XXX)

i.e. i'll get to go away more in the Van if we have a heater.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I generally would be but i'm a logical man at heart. I did some pretty complicated maths and worked out;

Total cost of the Van = Constant T
Nights allowed to go away alone in the Van = the constant A
Nights away not alone in the Van = variable XXX
Comfort score out of 10 for the Van = variable C

If XXX approximates the relationship 3C and relative value of investment is 1/$, we get the equation

$ =T/(A+XXX) or $=T/(A+3C)

If the cost of the heater is H

I guesstimate

T+H/(A+XXX) < T/(A+XXX)

i.e. i'll get to go away more in the Van if we have a heater.
Love the application of Man MathsT:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great build. I can sympathise, even having read everything I thought I could, there is nothing like getting your hands on the metal and starting work!

Heater (Webasto in my case) makes the van a real all year camper. In some damp and still conditions you will still get condensation but it usually all dries during the day, especially if driving. Get some rain deflectors for the front windows then you can leave them down a cm and get extra ventilation.

Plain white is quite stealthy which can be handy at times. The high roof / lwb combination must give plenty of room. There is a similar van for sale near me and I'm tempted by the extra space even though we manage everything in the swb.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all the encouragement. Great use of space to get everything in the short wheel base there. I still feel like i want about 1m more in the LWB so you've worked wonders to get 3 bikes & bed in I hadn't considered the narrow bed option. My parents had the short then LWB and said they noticed very little difference in the LWB when it came to driving. Being able to stand up inside was key for me and i wasn't interested in the pop top as you can't insulate them.

There's a few things i still can't quite get my head around. One of them is the ventilation. I plan to use the Van for skiing so am not too keen on cracking sklights or windows when it's -30. Also, stuff isn't really going to dry during the day then.

The other is carpeting all the metal surfaces. When you're carpeting the doors opposite the seals, how do you edge the carpet and make it look clean?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've been up to practicing my technical drawings again, started to get pretty good at it now i think. Here's where i worked out my surfboard will fit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Originally planned to try to get all my electrics into the wall behind the drivers cab but after reading a lot of threads on here, it seems like that is a bad idea. Plus i'm not 100% sure about all my requirements yet and i definitely want to add a solar panel next summer. It would be a right ballache taking everything back out to access them again. As such, i decided to sacrifice at least half if not all of the cupboard below.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Windows ordered, flooring ordered. Absolutely itching to get home and back to work on it now.

I've gone with the vinyl below for the floow, which i'm also going to use to cover the play for the overcab cupboard & the rear barn doors. Don't want carpeted panels on there as they're likely to get muddy from bike wheels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Should point out there is only space for two mtb's in mine with front wheels off. It is the front wheel that can be seen, not a third bike.

When carpeting to seals just use a plastic tool to slightly lift the seal and tuck the carpet edge beneath.

I would suggest fix some attachment points before the insulation because once it is all insulated it is hard to know where you can screw/bolt to attach things. I replaced the clip holes for the panels with rivinuts to gice points of attachment throughout the back.

I have spent one night at about -15 and ran the Webasto all night. Did with I had thermal screens on the windows but still expect a lot of condensation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just a thought, I think most mountain bikes will fit width ways with front wheels off. I carried 4 adult and two kids bikes that way once and it all fitted with the middle seats still up! The other option with the high roof is to hang them vertically?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Now I'm just daydreaming.... imagine a custom version of a rack like this https://www.cycleracks.co/products/semi-vertical-bike-rack/ then instead of the bed over the bikes, the end of the bed is almost under the bikes. Obviously you would panel it to keep the mucky bikes separate. Having a low bed really opens up the living area and it can be sat on, unlike the 1m high bed. You would need to check dimensions but I think you could then leave the wheels on all 4 bikes!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When carpeting to seals just use a plastic tool to slightly lift the seal and tuck the carpet edge beneath.
Thanks for the advice. It's not this side of the seal i'm struggling with though. So where you have the rubber of the seal, the opposite part of the door.

I couldn't decide how to edge my insulation here but thought i'd just solve that problem when i came to carpet. On another note, anyone tried carpeting over 2 layers of foil insulation yet? How did that go?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wonder if you could use a fan when drying stuff with the windows open a bit. We used the top of a cool box to circulate air in very hot conditions (more for the baby than drying stuff). It's not like you would have room for a dehumidifier.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the advice. It's not this side of the seal i'm struggling with though. So where you have the rubber of the seal, the opposite part of the door.

I couldn't decide how to edge my insulation here but thought i'd just solve that problem when i came to carpet. On another note, anyone tried carpeting over 2 layers of foil insulation yet? How did that go?
I would carpet board then attach board over insulation. For the doors where the seals need to go against metal I would make a board template from cardboard with the door closed then carpet the board (again with insulation in the cavity behind) and then attach the board to the door. The only uncovered bits will then be those that meet the door seal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely going to keep an eye on this thread! Great work.

I had a full MWB sprinter build plan then ditched it at the last minute for a T5. Still seeking the van, but it's entirely based around MTB trips. Trying to figure out a way to fit my DH and Enduro bike into a LWB, plus my girlfriends bike (I can't get away with not including her in the van build otherwise it'll never get bought) and still keep it as a camper that can sustain me (and her) on the road for 6 weeks at a time. Maybe a high roof is the way to go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I?ve been home a week but very little time to work on the Van so far.

First job was to fit one of my two windows. I went for the door first as I figured if I c*cked it up, I could buy a new door.

1- cut struts.
2- drill guide holes inside.
3- use holes to mark outline outside.
4- cut & remove panel.

Then I didn?t have time for any more pictures, as I had to work quickly.

5- rust treat cut edge.
6- hammer on knock on trim.
7- clean window & edge of cutout.
8- prime coat glass & Van.
9- apply mastic around the cutout.
10- press window on & tape in place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Hi, I will be following your thread with great interest as I have bought the same van couple of weeks ago.

I want to make it a bike/surf/dog van so interested what you come up with for the bikes.
What window brand did you fit?

Your last pictures are a soo tiny :(
What I do is upload them to a folder on my HD which is configured with Dropbox (free tryout account) you can than just rightclick on the photo on your HD and copy the Dropbox link to paste here in the img URL and change the parameter from dl=1 to raw=1

Here's a pic from my van:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn now I want a hard top to keep my bikes in ??? loving the ideas pal ones it's done it will be epic been wondering about sleeping and storing bike anyone else have this issue and come up with a goo way to make sure bike is secure on the rack i use my van to sleep in when doing 24 hr shifts covering work and usually have plenty of time to get out on my bike luckily but not sure how I can go to sleep with it outside ! Been ok for the summer as ok been working 12 hour cover but november the first I start this 24 hr e ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hi, I will be following your thread with great interest as I have bought the same van couple of weeks ago.

I want to make it a bike/surf/dog van so interested what you come up with for the bikes.
What window brand did you fit?

Your last pictures are a soo tiny :(
What I do is upload them to a folder on my HD which is configured with Dropbox (free tryout account) you can than just rightclick on the photo on your HD and copy the Dropbox link to paste here in the img URL and change the parameter from dl=1 to raw=1

Here's a pic from my van:
I try to avoid spending any time sat at a computer when i'm not at work, so not been on in a while. The last pics were uploaded from phone, hence the size. Loving the graphics on yours. Finally gave the old girl a scrub yesterday and she came up looking great

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Made some decent progress recently after being held up by getting dragged on honeymoon :D.

I bought windows from Kamperglass. Originally planned to fit rear windows but only one on the sliding door side. Changed my mind while i was working and decided to fit the opposite side but no rear windows. Don't fancy having our head against the glass and condensation.

Had a bit of a c**k up and knocked my bottle of primer over. That meant i was in a mad rush trying to save some primer before it dried. I didn't tape off the area to be primed before painting like i usually do and i went outside the lines a bit. Not disastrous though, as i'm much more bothered about function over form.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts