VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of wanting a T5 Camper, the opportunity came about and I decided to go for it.
My van is 2006 T32 LWB Kombi, with 2.5L engine, it has 220k on the clock, one owner from new and every receipt, for every single piece of work done on the van. It's had the new too end and replacement clutch as well, the owner spared no expense keeping it maintained.

My plan is to have the van capable of going fully off grid for a few days comfortably, perhaps longer. With that in mind, @Hoovie has helped me spec the leisure battery system which has now arrived. Top service from @Hoovie.

This included an: Ablemail 12-12-30, Victron BMV 712, Victron 12/800 pure sine wave inverter & 2 x Leoch AGM 110ah batteries + installation kit. I will add a victron MPPT and 200W of solar at some point in the future.

Next, the dreaded snag list. Here's what I've got to do so far:

• Door Handles
• Rear brake lights
• Rear lights upgrade (ones cracked)
• Interior Lights
• Window switches
• Headlights Washer Jet
• Rear Bumper (new or tidy up)

I've already started colour coding the handles, but i've decided to replace as some of them are just about past saving and it'll make it a lot easier. My local paint supplier got the colour match as close to perfect as possible.

I've also installed a 2x USB charger in the dash for convenience. This is on a piggy back fuse currently but when I do all the wiring I will have a 12v supply in the dash (to power LED Light bar and other items upfront) and will change it over that.

I've ordered from vanstyle.co.uk:

• Genuine VW Transporter T5 - T6 One Piece Carpet Mat (really nice!)
  • 2 x VW T5 03-09 Genuine OE Inner Door Handles
  • Genuine OEM Interior Light LED Bulb Upgrade
While waiting for that stuff to come I am also in the market for a machine polisher to tidy up the outside, there is a lot of very light scratching which i want to remove before touching up other areas.

After all this, i'll start with sound deadening, ply lining and carpeting. Getting ready for the rib seat and cabinets.

The plan for equipment inside the van is as follows:
  • Compressor for tyres, tools etc.
  • Diesel heater + hot water system
  • Rib Altair on sliding rails
  • Custom designed (by me) and made cabinets
  • All the usual camper equipment
  • T5.1 front end
Hopefully, i'll have a functioning camper by the end of the year but it's unlikely to be fully complete.

1. I'll periodically update here as any major progress is made. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Certainly does look well looked after. For a quick tidy up of the bumpers, could use some chemical guys G6 Hyper Coat, will blacken them up nicely.
Look forward to seeing your progress mate (y)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly does look well looked after. For a quick tidy up of the bumpers, could use some chemical guys G6 Hyper Coat, will blacken them up nicely.
Look forward to seeing your progress mate (y)
Thanks for the heads up, that's handy - I'll get some ordered. I looked at using the heat gun method but it looked like a bit of a faff. The bumpers are so grey I was beginning to wonder whether they were actually grey from the factory. :unsure::LOL:

We were very lucky with the seller and the van, all round nice chap.

I'm picking up the sheet metal for the leisure batteries tomorrow, so looking forward to getting them fabbed up and installed - this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bank Holiday Update:

We stripped all of interior and applied 2mm silent coat throughout and gave it a good clean.

From this:

To this:

I ran the power cable and sense line ready for the Ablemail B2B and the leisure battery install. Though, I didn't actually manage to wire them up or fabricate the brackets for the B2B charger + victron 12/800.

Both of the leisure batteries are now installed, i'm quite happy with the end result. I need to paint them and get some correct length bolts, but since the seats are coming out again, no bother. I may have

Should be plenty suitable for my over-landing dreams but I may make a few changes at a later date.

Next, i will install the Victron 12/800 inverter, BM712 and Ablemail B2B. The mounts for this Will be more difficult as the victron is massive.

I need to order some wiring harness braiding as I wasn't happy not having all the wiring in a loom.

That's all for now. Stay safe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Some good work there so far mate, looking forward to this build thread.

The service Hoovie provides is excellent very helpful along the way.

Good luck mate.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Nice work there mate (y) The best things take time, once the electrics are sorted and you start fitting the interior it'll really start to take shape. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers pal,

Really looking forward to doing the insulation and carpeting.I feel like that's the changing point, because then it's time to get rib seat ordered and installed.

Nice work there mate (y) The best things take time, once the electrics are sorted and you start fitting the interior it'll really start to take shape. Keep up the good work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts