VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
after spending some considerable time,money & effort tracing and rectifying the cause's of fumes in the cab of my 2005 t32,

i have one last problem (hopefully) i can't seem to cure,

The joint between the turbo and exhaust manifold, the one with the 4 bolt holes, dose'nt seem to want to re seal .
and as a consequence i'm getting nearly as much fume as i had with a leaking manifold,turbo.

i know vw don't spec a gasket of any sort for this joint....

Has anybody else had problems with this joint and found a fix for it ?
A silicone type jointing paste seems out of the question due to the extreme temp.
was thinking of making some sort of copper gasket !

Any advice much appreciated.

Mick.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi,

Sorry not got a solution to your new leak unfortunately but I was wondering how you managed to narrow down the source of your gasket? I think mine is leaking as am getting fumes in the cab but don't want to pay a garage to do something if I can do it myself. How much did it cost you to rectify the problem?

Mnay thanks,

Lewis

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Sorry not got a solution to your new leak unfortunately but I was wondering how you managed to narrow down the source of your gasket? I think mine is leaking as am getting fumes in the cab but don't want to pay a garage to do something if I can do it myself. How much did it cost you to rectify the problem?

Mnay thanks,

Lewis
Hi Lewis,
It is definately something you can do yourself, although somewhat of an awkward job.

My original leak was from the exhaust manifold itself which had cracked in several places, a common problem.
Also i had a lesser leak from the turbo.

A new manifold & re-con turbo should have sorted it.....but alas not, on reassembly i now have the leak from the turbo/EGR joint.
if you have a leak on your vehicle from any of the above, it should be quite easy to detect.
usually tell tale black sooty marks.. easier to spot with the use of a mirror !
another method i used was to bring the engine to the point of stall, then let it catch and bang some fuel/air in and you will get a puff of smoke from offending area.
Hope this helps, if you need a chat about it PM me your phone No. and i'll talk you through it.
Mick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mate, this is it seems a very common problem and is actually also being discussed here:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150333

I managed to find an aftermarket gasket for this joint on German ebay. I've not fitted it yet, but seems to be just the trick. Use google translate to help with understanding.

German ebay link:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Abgaskrummer-...item35b5ad621a

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Turbolader-Di...item35b57c3d15
Thanks for that,
as you say seems just the job, obviously is a common problem.

Thanks again.

Mick.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi all,
after spending some considerable time,money & effort tracing and rectifying the cause's of fumes in the cab of my 2005 t32,

i have one last problem (hopefully) i can't seem to cure,

The joint between the turbo and exhaust manifold, the one with the 4 bolt holes, dose'nt seem to want to re seal .
and as a consequence i'm getting nearly as much fume as i had with a leaking manifold,turbo.

i know vw don't spec a gasket of any sort for this joint....

Has anybody else had problems with this joint and found a fix for it ?
A silicone type jointing paste seems out of the question due to the extreme temp.
was thinking of making some sort of copper gasket !

Any advice much appreciated.

Mick.
dont know if this is of any help .... not a mechanic but.......with regard to a silicone type jointing paste .... i bought 1 for my oven as the glass fell out and needed to bond and seal it back in place ...this stuff goes up to 300 degC.... and says for use as a gasket seal in boilers, ovens, ducting flue, and heating applications???
its called heat mate and got it from ebay and it was a tenner !!!
cheers mich (mrs emu !!) lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont know if this is of any help .... not a mechanic but.......with regard to a silicone type jointing paste .... i bought 1 for my oven as the glass fell out and needed to bond and seal it back in place ...this stuff goes up to 300 degC.... and says for use as a gasket seal in boilers, ovens, ducting flue, and heating applications???
its called heat mate and got it from ebay and it was a tenner !!!
cheers mich (mrs emu !!) lol
Hi Mrs Emu,

Thanks for your advice much appreciated,
Unfortunately the gases at the point of leak,are probably somewhere in the region of 1200/1300 Deg.

I have now ordered one of the gaskets from Germany,hopefully this will cure the problem once and for all.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Regards

Mick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts