VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, has any of you ever towed a caravan with a 1.9 td, if so was it any good. I am going to view one in the morning, I was after a 2.5 tdi as i want to use it to tow my caravan on family holidays how ever this 1.9 td looks very tidy on the photos ( come to think of it so did all the other sheds ive been to see lol ) also what are common faults to look for on these, any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers MICK (NEWBIE)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i get over taken by family hatchbacks towing cravans when my van is empty towing nothing and ive done 1.9td project power LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Buy the best van you can afford to suit what you need it for.....

Whilst the 1.9 might not be 'all powerful', you are supposed to stick to 60mph with a caravan anyway. Rasp:

With some fuel and boost tweaks (done properly), mine is as capable at pulling uphill as many standard 2.5s - but I rarely go above 65mph on the motorways, as it just eats fuel......with a caravan in tow, that speed malarky isn't an issue for you.......

If the van is decent, with a good history, then it'll likely be fine. The cost of servicing is far below what a 2.5 costs and, as I say, with some tweaks, you can easily have 88bhp power (if not a little more) for NO cost at all............... :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Whilst the 1.9 might not be 'all powerful', you are supposed to stick to 60mph with a caravan anyway. Rasp:

With some fuel and boost tweaks (done properly), mine is as capable at pulling uphill as many standard 2.5s - but I rarely go above 65mph on the motorways, as it just eats fuel......with a caravan in tow, that speed malarky isn't an issue for you.......

If the van is decent, with a good history, then it'll likely be fine. The cost of servicing is far below what a 2.5 costs and, as I say, with some tweaks, you can easily have 88bhp power (if not a little more) for NO cost at all............... :)
The van looks and sounds like its a decent one its on a 02 reg. I have got to get a 51 reg or newer so my private plate can go on ( i got a bit merry on stella a couple of weeks ago and purchased a number plate from the dvla,s website and i hadnt even got a t4 to put it on, so the wifes not impressed to say the least ) I have towed the caravan with the wifes peugeot 307 hdi before so i would think a t4 1.9 td will do a lot better than that ( her car couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding ) also what make lowered rear springs do you think would be best for towing use,I am only going to lower it 40mm/45mm at the rear max

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

this is a good point you dont need to go fast with a caravan personally i prefer my 1.9td to a 2.5tdi their alot more simple

·
Registered
643 Posts
i have towed an eriba pan ( very light 2 berth ) on the back of my t4. it wasnt the fastest in the world and needed 4th on the hills ( but most 19tds do ) but it did the job.

i am hoping the TDi replacement will make it a bit more fuel efficient and a bit more bottom end pull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts