VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the pressure in my header tank got worse and worse and the van started to overheat to the point of boiling like a kettle, I finally gave up and took the head off. The gasket was not obviously knackered, although it seemed pretty dirty and generally crappy, so I got the head skimmed and looking good.
I started cleaning up the block ready for it to go back on today and discovered there s quite a bit of corrosion, especially around the triangular waterways close to cylinder number 1. This isnt corroded right up to the cylinder edge, but right to the edge of the indented ring that surrounds the cylinder.
The corrosion is not mega deep but I would say significant,.
I'm now wondering is it worth continuing with the job...I have a new gasket and head set and bolts worth 60 quid, just spent 55 on the head skim..if I put it all together again and it doesnt solve it, or lasts only a little while I have wasted all that dosh..if I cut my losses now I could take all the bits back to the shop, maybe sell the head (it seems in pretty good nick, no cracks or nasties) and just buy an old golf and do a tdi conversion.
The other option would be to take out the engine and get the block skimmed..pretty much reconditioning the whole blinking thing but that seems like a bit of a big job when I could just bung another lump in...
What I need to know really is if there is anything I can do about the corrosion? Chemical metal? Smear of instant gasket? Put it back together and steel seal it? Ignore it and hope?
Anyone had to deal with this and come out the other side with a good reliable engine I would very much like to hear your advice??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the K seal suggestion..unfortunately K seal seemed to start a lot of the problem..I though it would work wonders but it got a lot hotter after and when I took the head off there was all sorts of odd stuff blocking the coolant flow.
As it is in bits I dont really want to bung it back together and hope for magic jollop to fix it..was hoping for a more permanent repair that would save taking the engine out and skimming the block face...so....
I hav had a look around and discovered J B weld..whic is like an epoxy that stands 550C degrees..I'm going to smear it on the corroded bits and put the head gasket on and see how it works...
Fingers crossed! I will report back on what happens!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts