VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im stuck!!
trying to fit the drivers side drive shaft back to the gearbox, and i can't get it back in the gap, dropped the under tray to try and wangle a little more room to squeze it through but still no joy, not been able to losen off the torsion bar bolt as dont own a spanner big enough :confused: any body got any advice ie best bodge going, tried jacking the hub and suspension up but the jack slips off and dont want my hands caught in that mess! there has to be a bodge just cant figure it out on my own yet!*<:)>

·
Registered
174 Posts
I found it easier by removing the front shock altogether as that gives plenty of room to get access.
Buy yourself a decent set of spanners and sockets that go above 19mm, you'll need them time and time again. A small investment will save £'s going forward saving garage bills for those jobs you can tackle yourself. A large adjustable spanner is also a good idea.
You say jack keeps slipping, where are you positioning it? :bhd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the shock completely opened the space right up, im placing the jack on the top suspension strut to try and jack it up to give me more room to place gear box end of the drive shaft in.

as where the suspension is forcing it down the gap is not big enough to fit the drive shaft back!!

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I had to do this recently and saw pics somewhere of the suspension arm being held in place with a long piece of timber from the floor. Frankly looked scary if it slipped out so I jammed a metal bar about 2"wide in the top of the wishbone pivot bracket to stop the arm moving up; have to say even then was very worried it might move allowing the wishbone to fly up so keot my hand well clear when fitting! I think there is a post on here somewhere with a similair idea, possibly in the balljoint sticky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to do this recently and saw pics somewhere of the suspension arm being held in place with a long piece of timber from the floor. Frankly looked scary if it slipped out so I jammed a metal bar about 2"wide in the top of the wishbone pivot bracket to stop the arm moving up; have to say even then was very worried it might move allowing the wishbone to fly up so keot my hand well clear when fitting! I think there is a post on here somewhere with a similair idea, possibly in the balljoint sticky.
cheers Tfore that is a mega idea and i will give that a bash!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts