VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to pick up a Garrett GT15 Turbocharger which is brand new from ebay for a very reasonable price. I am getting my 1.9td back from the garage later this week. (See my other thread - URGENT - Sudden loss of power)

The garage have reset my diesel pump timing but are 99.9% certain that my turbocharger is worn and on the way out.

I could get the garage to fit the new turbo, but I could try and save 3 hours labour @ £50 plus vat per hour and fit it myself.

How easy/hard is this job and any hints?

I am quite handy with the spanner and have done bottom ball joints, inner cv joint etc.

Cheers Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
its only nuts and bolts
can be done in situ
Patience required and be prepared for siezed and snapping studs oh and skinned knuckles
if you do it yourself make sure you prime the turbo with clean oil before running it up.
if the garage will do it for a guaranteed £150 i would give it serious consideration as it could take you a lot longer and if studs do break then you will have to remove manifold
Still find it hard to believe it was all good when parked and then fubar next time you started it
:*:*:*:*

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there ironheadnitro!!

It is weird with my van how one minute it was driving fine and then two days later it was well down on power. I believe that the turbo is fed by oil from the engine to keep it lubricated? Well several weeks ago I checked my oil and the sump was virtually empty!!:eek:

When I bought my van I was told it had a reconditioned engine that had only covered 40k. Also it had just had an oil change, so I didn't think to check the oil!!

I have only covered around 2000 miles in my van since buying it in August.

My theory is that I have been losing oil through the turbo seals for some time and maybe it got to the point where the turbo ran dry and thus got damaged???:confused::confused::confused:

Anyway the last couple of times I drove the van it was well down on power and I could hear no turbo whistle, so I guess it was not spinning?

Anyway I have a new Garrett GT15 turbo (for only £132) T: , so I think I will get the garage to fit it. Don't want any nightmares with snapped studs etc if I do it myself!! :eek: Weather is cold and as well now!!

It's only money!!

Cheers Alpenweiss2 :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hi there ironheadnitro!!

Anyway the last couple of times I drove the van it was well down on power and I could hear no turbo whistle, so I guess it was not spinning?
Ah here we go
Thought you said in your other post that it had been fine till you had the problem but now it seems as if it were down on power the last couple of times you drove it.
Then I would say yes probably down to siezing turbo due to lack of oil.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah here we go
Thought you said in your other post that it had been fine till you had the problem but now it seems as if it were down on power the last couple of times you drove it.
Then I would say yes probably down to siezing turbo due to lack of oil.

Hi again Ironheadnitro.

I think you were misunderstanding me!!

The van was driving totally fine until this Monday just gone. I had previously driven it on the previous Saturday for a job I was off to do and it seemed fine. Parked it up Saturday afternoon and didn't use it again till Monday. Something went wrong whilst it was parked up between Saturday and Monday morning, probably the turbo sticking!!

Spoke to the garage this afternoon and they have checked crank pulley which is fine, but they have reset the fuel pump timing. A turbo hose has been replaced as it had a split in the rubber but it wasn't straight though (£45 from VW :eek: ouch!!). Topped up my oil for me as well and replaced a gasket on the turbo as they removed something to inspect it. Total bill of around £270!!

So cost so far is

New Turbo = £132
Bill for pump set up and parts £270
Garage quote to fit new turbo = £200

Total cost = £602 !!:eek:

If I can change the turbo myself then that will save me £200.

Could really do with a guide on how to do this!!

Cheers alpenweiss2

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a pictoral guide to changing the T4 1.9td turbo for a new/replacement one?

Cheers Alpenweiss2
Hi send me your email address and i will send you copy of ELSA once you have it follow instructions exactly it is for xp but will give you 30 day trial on vista or 7 which you can get round by back dating your callander 30 days

1 - 7 of 7 Posts