VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and proud owner of a X reg T4 1.9td with 84k on the clock. Love the van...but experiencing a few worrying problems. Everyone on here seems very helpful and friendly, so I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice!

A few days ago my van refused to start in the morning. This is just after the snow had gone, 2 days previous it started fine even when sat for 8 hours, covered in snow.
It turned over no problem, just wouldnt fire up. Being a bit of a ass, I continued to try until the battery started getting a bit weak. I got my mate involved (who actually knows what he is doing) and he connected some jump leads to my van. Tried again....turns over fine but still not starting. Glow plug light goes off after the usual time, about 10-12 seconds (thats right....right?!).

We tried to figure it out for about an hour, that involved signing up to this foum and reading anything that could be related. One suggested a spray of wd40 up the air intake (in replace of easy start). We tried that...but it didnt work. About ten mins later it decided to start. We left it running for ten mins, switched the engine off, let her stand for ten mins then tried again and she started fine. Again, being an a bit of an ass (and also a bit of a novice when it comes to engines) I just thought it was one of those things. Just stoked to have my lush new van working fine. She drives like a dream, when running...

I drove to a mates about 20 miles away, where I stayed the night. In the morning the van wouldnt start again. I called the RAC, and when they turned up the guy seemed pretty stumpted. He sprayed a bit of easy start, and it started straight away. He suggested I get myself some, and take it to a garage.

I have booked the van in for next wednesday, useing easy start to get going when the vans been sat for more than a couple of hours. BUT just been told today about the risks of easy start...."its like crack for cars" were the exact words! So now very reluctant to rely on it! :eek:

Does this all point to the glow plugs?

Also, not sure if its just because I'm new to owning a van but it seems to be drinking a hell of a lot of fuel....50ish miles to a tenner, thats about 20mpg isn't it?! That seems a little low to me? Especially as the back is empty!

The oil light sometimes comes on and beeps when I start the engine but after a few revs it goes out (checked oil level and is ok). The temp gauge sometimes works but usually it doesn't.

Are all these seperate issues or could they be related in some way?

Sorry for the epic first post! The vans going to be used for my band and the odd surf trip....already had to postpone 2 band practices :(

Here she is:

Anybody have any ideas? :ILU:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
have you checked the fuel lines, does it sound a bit lumpy when running, sounds similar to mine when i sheared a fuel line from the block?

as for the oil light it can have something to do with the bonnet catch or the alternator so i'm led to beleive, it does it on mine as well bud

good luck with it and welcome to the forumT:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, it seems fine once its running, + starts smoothly when its warm...

I have hardley any experience with engines, but I'll ask my bro to take at look at the fuel lines...could there be air in there?

So the oil light isn't anything to worry about?

Thanks dude!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
have you tryed using the cold start lever to the right of the steering wheel mine wont start without it when cold:*

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah doesnt seem to make a difference now, although I was using it before the problem started cuz of the snow :confused:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Have you checked the glow plug fuse under the bonnet? Mine is just above the air filter but i think they put them near the battery on the later models.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I had a starting prob like yours late last year with my 1.9 td by the way its red as well
try the glow plug fuse its in a black box just in front of the battery if that is ok then get a test meter on the copper bar for the glow plugs to make sure you are getting 12v from the relay

If all is ok like mine was at this point i went and got a new set of glow plugs for about £26 all has been fine with starting from then on bud :ILU:

Good luck

If you are doing the glow plugs you will need this T: to get them out .
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_161302_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
I was wondering, how does the cold start switch actually work?
It advances the timing and throttle making starting easier, never use mine either.
As for my recommendations i would say glow plugs too. When mine failed i couldn't start it either, as t4toad said, check the voltage and the fuse if all thats ok replace the plugs. Leak off pipes can cause fuel to drain back to the tank if they are split which is a pain and an easy fix as they just push onto the injectors.

Does it put out any smoke when its started from cold? White smoke can be mistaken for steam so you need to have a bit off a sniff for unburned diesel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks JimmyJames, I will meter the fuse tonight and change the glows if the fuse is ok. No smoke when its started, just the white vapour, which I spose is a good thing?!

Even if its the glow plugs its stall a relatively cheap fix eh?

Looing forward to sorting this so that I can start making the Van my own! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

I checked the glowplug fuse and it seemed to have blown. Replace it and it started up fine, great!!
However, this morning it didn’t start, with the same issues.
Any ideas!? I suppose I will have to check the fuse again, but it doesn’t look like its blown!...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Replace your glow plug relay(right hand side of steering wheel in fuse box).
no 104.
Could be a fault with that?(blowing fuses)
Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: T4 1.9td starting problems

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have a t4 1.9t 1998, it turns over in the morning but won't fire, I have has new glow plugs and still won't fire up but if I tow it she will bump straight away and when she is warm it will start on the key any ideas ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
same problem here, with mine as the intial poster mines just gone into the gaage today as i burnt the starter out trying to get it going.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi when your glow plug light goes out the glow plugs plugs carry on heating until the relay switches them off, what you should try and do is listen for a small click about 15-20 seconds the glow plug light goes out, if you do not hear a click I would suspect the relay and change it, its a common problem in vans of this age, regards bighook, T:T:T:T:T:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts