VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So my first post and I am asking for help :/

Ok, I have a newly acquired 1993 t4 2.4 diesel van which has been roughly converted to a camper van..

The electrics behind the dash are, to say the least, bodged!

I rewired yesterday only to try and move the van but it would only turn over and not start.. This is when I found this amazing forum!

I have tried the:

"A good trick to prove glowplugs is to whack a jump lead from the positive of the battery straight onto the S39 strip fuse underneath the bonnet driver side inner wing and count to ten.Have your igintion switch turned to normal glow plug light position first . Van will start if the fault is upstream of the fuse s39and it proves glowplugs are capable still."

And it started..

There is no power getting to the glow fuse so my question is, what could now be the problem after starting it this way..

Regards,

Danny.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Just fit a new wire from the battery to the s39 fuse. Quicker than tracing and fault finding the original wireT:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have removed the fuse to check its condition?
Hey Nick,

Which fuse..

I have checked the big fuses under the bonnet (two leading off from the battery and one on the drivers side)

Also pulled out, checked and replaced the fuses under the steering wheel.

D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the main 50amp glow plug fuse.

many people have looked at it and said it looks fine. but found it in two pieces when they undid the retaining nuts.
Yes, that is the one I am 'hotwiring' there is no power getting to it so put a direct line from the battery to the fuse and she started.

D

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Take it step-by-step .. You already identified the area at issue . Get a new fuse for glo-plugs , When you install it , disconnect batt. pos , and remove and clean all connections to it , and re-connect , with a smear of good ole vaseline on them , try it then , also check buzz bar/ wires to plugs connections . If the issue is still evident , its likely to be the relay ... It,ll only take 15 mins , and you have a starting van ..!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts