VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just had my van fail on "integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its stregnth within a 30cm of a body mounting central front (chassis cross member corroded affecting security of pipes and radiator"

I've been quoted 6 hours labour and £390 including vat for the part.

Am I having my pants pulled down?

The reason I ask is firstly, the only crossmember parts I can see available from the usual suspects are about £220 including VAT and delivery although they are aftermarket. Secondly on doing a google search somebody claims to have replaced his in an hour and a half!! I'm assuming from the description of whats wrong that the part required is the front lower crossmember with headlamp frames above it. Am I getting something wrong? Is there another more awkward crossmember part that needs doing as well? Please help. I don't mind paying the garage if it's a fair quote but I just don't quite get the part price or the number of hours labour supposedly required. At first I thought it must require welding but others seem to think this is not the case and it's a bolt on part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if this is same as what you are talking about, I am just doing mine on my Long Nose which I came across by accident, it is all bolted on on the long nose, not sure about short nose. The fixings to the chassis were completely solid rust and not much metal to attach new cross member onto so had to have 2 new plates welded on for something to attach too. If the fixings were OK on yours then it not a complex job, a lot of screws, electrics, panels and pump attached to it but nothing major. Remember if it is the same as mine that all the fixing bolts for all panels need to align before tightening the main bolts up. I paid about £250 for the panel and would say it would have took me a couple of hours if everything comes off OK. Not sure if the short nose one is welded on as both my T4's are long nose. I would check state of fixings like where the welded ones are in my pictures first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes I think we're talking about the same bit. All sounds doable in the yard apart from welding. The short nose crossmember is a slightly different shape and has a frame for the headlights but otherwise it looks fairly similar.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
I think this comes down a similar problem with changing wings....
Take the old wing off....and find there is NOTHING made of metal to attach the new ones to!
It's a common problem, and "people who are in the know" about these vans will give you a quote to allow for ALL the extra fabricating/welding/etc. (HIGH quote, but if reputable, will reduce it if the work was not as bad as they thought!)
Those who don't know, will quote you a couple of hundred quid, and then pull a price out of the hat for the extra 4-5 hours they used to fix it.
Either that, or they just "bodge" the job and stick with what they quoted.

Remember, filler or underseal can cover a LOT of problems up!

I just had my Polish lodger/mechanic/do-it-all sort my front arches out.
All going well...UNTIL he managed to poke a hole. fist sized, into the INNER arch, with just his finger!!!!
These are the "hidden" problems.

Also, be aware, there have been posts on here that some of the aftermarket "members" do NOT have all the fixings welded to them for the radiator/etc........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im a mobile welder,you couldnt do this job in an hour and half .looks like there some extra fabrication needed and bound to be some hidden horrors.that price you was quoted is obviously from a garage as they tend to think of a number and double it then add vat.theres bound to be a local welder who can sort this cheaper than a garage.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why dont you buy the crossmember yourself,always makes more sense when you have the replacement part.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts