VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the world of buying vehicles ( let alone T4's ) so there no surprise I have little to no idea what I'm doing. I'm buying a T4 2.4 2000 lwb for £1,000 it has an MOT with supposedly nothing serious wrong ( almost just cosmetic stuff). It has 227,000 miles on the clock but other than that the only problem is the fact when i put my foot on the throttle in what ever gear and speed, the acceleration is so small that you can barely feel it ( its almost dangerous pulling out of junctions). Other than that the van is Amazing and perfect for a project.
Can anyone bestow their wisdom upon me to what I should do to fix it, or look out for what it might be wrong, or is it a huge problem and I should walk away from it?

NEW INFORMATION! its being sold as a 2.4 litre. BUT it says TDi on the grill. Researching, this appears not to exists. Is it possibly part of the problem that it might be a 2.0 tdi??

Thank you
Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the van runs very smoothly, no off putting noises. There is little to no acceleration noises so I assume that crosses out slipping clutch.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Replace the acceleration cable as it will have stretched over time and it'll be like a new van. The 2.4 is quite pedestrian but should be quite quick off the mark if it's set up properly.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,155 Posts
2.0TDi would means it's had a conversion done, they were never made like that.
2.4 doesn't have a turbo (unless modified..easy to spot under the bonnet).
Sometimes the 2.5TDi get advertised as a 2.4, as it's 2,461cc

If it's a 2.4....they are pretty slow to get going....a 2.5TDi should push you back in your seat.

Grills are easily changeable, so maybe ignore the badge?
2.5 TDi should also have a badge on the back.
£1000 for a 2.5TDi is also very little money.

Do you have an advert you can post a link to?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts