VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, hoping someone might be able to help us, we have got to the end of all of the other threads and are now at a loss.
A couple of times before Christmas the van had been iffy starting but it eventually got going. Then at Christmas it would not start until the RAC man came out and introduced us to easy start, he advised us at the time to get the glow plugs changed. We have now done the following:

Changed 3/5 glow plugs
changed fuel filter
changed fuel filter connector
changed fuel lines
changed the majority of the leak off hoses (have the rest to do tomorrow)
new glow plug relay

It runs fine when it is going but will only start with a squirt of easy start and it will start itself if the engine is warm.

There was air in the fuel lines - but think we solved this today, but left the engine to cool down and just tried to start it again after it had cooled down for a while it won't go (even though it sounds like it really wants to)!

Appreciate any advice anyone might have, have a holiday booked in a month and want to get this sorted before then. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Replace the rest of the glow plugs

Check the glow plugs get 12V

Check that the fuel solenoid still gets 12v when you turn the key to crank (typical ign switch problem)

Get rid of the air in the lines - leakdown pipes on the injectors are no 1 culprits

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much.

Will get the rest of the leak pipes off today which will hopefully get rid of the air bubbles, the lines already look much better.

The van is turning over so didn't think the starter solenoid would be a problem but will definitely try that too thanks very much.

We were reading last night that someone had similar problems and it ended up being their starter so might have a look at that too. Will keep you posted, many thanks!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. Should have done all 5 g/p s. I think the other guy is talking about the ignition switch under the cowling inside steering column.The switch that comes from under the key they also cause problems quite often and new ones can be found on ebay. As already said you need to get rid of air in lines
Good luck

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi,

I've got the 2.4 and had the same problems. I changed 4/5 plugs, as the last one was a sod to get too.

In the end My local garage (who are fantastic, and know a lot about old vw's), changed the 5th plug...and bingo, starts first time every time.

Good luck.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,124 Posts
Hi,

I've got the 2.4 and had the same problems. I changed 4/5 plugs, as the last one was a sod to get too.

In the end My local garage (who are fantastic, and know a lot about old vw's), changed the 5th plug...and bingo, starts first time every time.

Good luck.
Possibly as all the plugs are connected together (and the 5th is the worst to get to, behind the pump), it was just a bad connection on the wiring!

Check you get 12 volts (maybe only 10 as they take a load of current) at the plugs when the glowplug light is on.
If you get nothing, check the fuses in the black box in front of the battery. (Or the relay...109?)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks very much.

Will get the rest of the leak pipes off today which will hopefully get rid of the air bubbles, the lines already look much better.

The van is turning over so didn't think the starter solenoid would be a problem but will definitely try that too thanks very much.

We were reading last night that someone had similar problems and it ended up being their starter so might have a look at that too. Will keep you posted, many thanks!
Not the starter solenoid - the fuel cut off solenoid on the pump. It's the syptom of a faulty ignition switch that works fine until you turn key to 'crank' position

·
Registered
152 Posts
mine was the glow plugs, all 5 replaced and starts first time. Dont know how true this is but the AA man told me to go easy on the easy start, the engines get addicted to it and then struggle to start without it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
mine was the glow plugs, all 5 replaced and starts first time. Dont know how true this is but the AA man told me to go easy on the easy start, the engines get addicted to it and then struggle to start without it.
I've heard it described as crack for engines LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nope that's a load of balls.

If an engine will only start with easy start it has a problem, if you don't fix the problem then common sense tells you it'll not get better by itself and probably just get worse. And thus become dependant on ether/easy start.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same issue following a service....

First started when Euro sent three wrong filters?
Turns over but wont fire.... and whilst IT HAS HAD
NEW RELAY 102, ALL THE AIR BLED,IMMOBILISER REMOVED AND BY-PASSED,KEY TESTED(BEFORE IMMOBILISER REMOVED), T-PIECE POST FUEL FILTER(contains micro filter),ONE WAY VALVE INSTALLED IN FUEL LINE,SOLENOID CHANGED AND GLOW PLUGS

Ive two fundamental differences here....running fine and starting fine pre service with no symptoms, and (SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN MENTIONED)....IT STARTS EVERY TIME WITH A TOW....after every item changed, it starts with a tow...and is still starting with a TOW?

Last TOW I drove it 20 mile and got it nice and hot...turned it off, and straight back on....NOWT.......turning over but not firing

Help....with explanation please. The more people I talk to appears to unearth something new...but so far saved me a fortune....but still wont start

·
Registered
338 Posts
Could be ignition switch.

The contact for the fuel solenoid fails when key is in the crank position.

You turn the key to the run position, all fine with 12v at the fuel solenoid; but when you turn it to the crank position the fuel solenoid drops out and hence no injection.

It'll start fine with a bump or tow because the key is in the start position.

Might be worth checking, had the very same on my 2.4 and back in the pre internet forums days it was far more tricky to diagnose things like this.

·
Registered
338 Posts
As a quick test....

Run a 12v feed direct from battery to solenoid - just to see if it now starts on the key.

It now wont stop on the key until you remove the 12v feed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
THANKS ....Im sure going to try this as I thought it was the ignition switch at the beginning....just tested current at Solenoid and Injectors once it was running and getting 14v.Ditto at the fuse above battery on wing.....this afternoon I will wire direct the solenoid and fingers crossed.
Once again...started with a ten metre tow this morning

Thanks again

·
Registered
120 Posts
Reg....you are a STAR.
I OWE YOU BIG TIME BUDDY.....iT CRACKED UP AS SOON AS I PUT DIRECT FEED TO SOLENOID....all that heartache.
PM me buddy and I will send you a bottle of something...Next trip to Devon or Cornwall and the drinks are on me.

Im putting a switch in on dash now....it will replace the damn immobiliser that I ratched off last week needlessly....oh well, you live and learn.

Brilliant buddy....I cant thank you enough...the sun is shining once again in Blackpool...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts