VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - new here and wonder if you can help.

I got a VW 2.4 Diesel (non turbo) 1992 Transporter. I had a lot of engine overhaul work done to it before xmas (cambelt/oil seals/waterpump/thermostat/thermoswitch (although not sure which one) - the list was vast...) and fully serviced.

Finally got a replacement set of clocks in as the temp/fuel gauge were up the swanny. Now have readings on both but the temp gauge seems to take forever to warm up?:confused:

* Won't register anything for at least 10 minutes then starts to climb to register 1/4 - 1/3 of the gauge.
* It rarely reaches half way, usually after a mixed drive of 30/40 mins settling at just under half way (but can sometimes then cool down a little).
* Only exception being when I went on the motorway, uphill, *around* the legal limit, for 10-15 minutes when it hit halfway and peaked a fraction over. When I stopped after that it settled back down again to just under half way.
* Fans seem to be cutting in (one on right as you look at the van certainly is).

Any ideas? :*Do I have a problem or does any of this sound familiar - I'm new to VW's and Diesels.

Ta, David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just let it idle from cold, took 20 - 25mins to reach a fraction under halfway - sound normal?:*

Sorry for being so paranoid, got the longest trip yet in it next weekend and having had so many issues before Christmas with it I'm crossing everything!:cool:

Also, actually having a temp gauge is now something of a novelty... LOL:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just let it idle from cold, took 20 - 25mins to reach a fraction under halfway - sound normal?:*

Sorry for being so paranoid, got the longest trip yet in it next weekend and having had so many issues before Christmas with it I'm crossing everything!:cool:

Also, actually having a temp gauge is now something of a novelty... LOL:
Sounds normal, to me to. Mine is exactly the same during the snow it took up 45 mins before it even began to move. I currently have a 2.4 d 1991 same as you, till i start my TDi conversion at least.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
yes mate that sounds spot on. my 2.4 does exactly the same as yours. you'll probably notice in the summer the temp gauge will sit a bit higher.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My temp gauge is like that mate so it looks like this is the norm..., same engine too!
I am having issues with my clocks reading the fuel, anyone else in the same boat ? I:
I stuck £40 in the bus just before went off the road and it didnt go anywhere near half way :eek:
I know they have a big tank but surely this isnt right, i feel like im putting fuel in my bus waaaay to early because the needle shows empty but i reckon there is still £20 worth of juice in there :*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts