VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of changing (thanks to that W**kbucket Boris) my trusty T4 for one of these new fangled T5s with the 2.0 4 cylinder engine. On paper they don't look too different engine wise, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has made the same change and whether they think the engines are equivalent. Chipping not an option.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Thinking of changing (thanks to that W**kbucket Boris) my trusty T4 for one of these new fangled T5s with the 2.0 4 cylinder engine. On paper they don't look too different engine wise, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has made the same change and whether they think the engines are equivalent. Chipping not an option.
Why blame Boris ?

Check your facts - the LEZ is a product of Brussels, not Boris or Ken - Boris did at least get the implementation of the phase that has "caught" you delayed for some time...........

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I blame Boris because he's the Mayor, if he didn't want the LEZ it would never have happened.
Sorry, that's b******* - as you should be aware Brussels overrides our legislation - if you want to then you can campaign "call me Dave" or if you want to be able to pick & choose what EU laws you follow then move to France.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going to be selling your T4 as I know a man who is looking for one?
Selling it appears not to be a problem, lots of interest, harder to find a replacement!

Sorry, that's b******* - as you should be aware Brussels overrides our legislation - if you want to then you can campaign "call me Dave" or if you want to be able to pick & choose what EU laws you follow then move to France.
The French are very good at not implementing the inconvenient or politically undesirable. We should do the same. We allow Brussels to dictate too us far too much, and have a tendency to "gold plate" directives. There is usually a public policy/security opt-out in most directives, and in the case of the LEZ I think the number of manky old cars produces way more pollution than the fairly limited number of light commercials effectively banned from this month. Yet nothing has been done about those, which suggests to me that the van ban was not necessary under the directive about cleaner city air.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
If you like the T4 buy a LEZ compliant one?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you like the T4 buy a LEZ compliant one?
I like my T4, I've had it for ten years, bought it when it was just over one year old. If I have to change, I want to get something newish, and there are a lot of 100hp 2.0 year old T5s going for what looks like sensible money. Question is, how do they compare (to drive)?

Will have to go and try one I suppose.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
As an ex T4 & now a T5 owner/driver I would say that they are very different. Both the vans are 2.5's.

The T5 is a little smoother & benefits from the extra, 6th gear.

Only a drive will tell you what the T5/T5.1's compare to the T4.

Some T4's can be upgraded to Euro III, but, it's not cheap.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My T4 2.5 102 had more grunt than my 102 T5 Facelift. Fuel consumption for both is/was around 40 mpg. New one is more comfortable and refined.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Well I had a brand new 2.0 103? T5 the other day while my T4 was in at VW for service,
I loved the gear change/gear box position :), It felt like there was loads of power, but seemed it was just quite boosty in the low rev range and not much after that, where as my 2.5TDi T4 is the opposite, lazy low down but has a kick past 2k.

I really thought I was going to hate my T4 after driving the T5, but I was shocked as there wasn't much difference and ended up liking my T4 than I did originally, as I was still torn between the T4/T5.

I would have either, both have plus/minus. But very similar to drive I thought, though I haven't driven an earlier T4, mine is a low mileage 2.5TDi 2003 X-Pack which has all the toys.

Fuel wise, I get 120 miles+ to £20, not sure what that is MPG wise, but mixed driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts