VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to work this one out for a while and would be interested in other common issues. I have a 9 month old battery. Everything is ok, but sometimes in under 5 days the battery is absolutely flat.
No fuses have blown.
I have a steady 0.05 A overall drain, which seems about normal with 0.03 coming from fuse 21 circuit.
We have turned off all interior lights to try and ensure that is not a problem.
Glovebox Bulb removed as is the sliding door entry bulb.
Brake switch replaced 1 year ago, I thought this sticking had the potential, sadly not!

One consideration, rear window wiper that we don't use as it doesn't work, I think the motor is seized.

I have checked the door switches and ensured they are free and turn on/off lights if you switch them to work with the doors.

What are common caravelle issues that I could investigate, sliding door contacts? It just seems odd that the charge goes. This has been going on for a while and was probably the cause of the last battery being replaced.

I am loathed to take it to the garage as I have not narrowed it down.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Chris

·
Registered
602 Posts
i have a similiar issue but it will drain over 24 hours. battery was new on 1st jan and i have a 70ma drain. stereo is causing this and soon to be replaced. even 70ma wouldn't drain my battery that quick so i'm a bit stumped. if i pull fuse 21 the battery will not go flat. it's a strange one.

have checked all the usual culprits, interior lights,over run pump etc.....

if new stereo solves it i'll post back.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Load (50 - 70ma) is not high enough to drain a good battery in the times suggested IMHO.
So do either of you have timed heaters or similar that might be triggered overnight. ?
Fuse 21 is listed for internal lights clock radio etc but that does not mean someone hasn't hung something else on it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No timed heater that I'm aware of. Mine has the aux coolant heater dw3z but this only runs when cold and engine is on. I can't trace anything else on fuse 21 circuit everything looks factory.
As an electrician it's really frustrating not being able to find a fault. With stereo unplugged I have a 10ma drain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Thanks for replies. No I don't have any timed heaters or anything non standard.
One thing that I noticed today was that the sliding door was tricky to close so now I am wondering if it has not closed and be connecting and disconnecting repeatedly and hence causing the issue. Today's theory until I have a better one!

Welcome any other suggestions.
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
This is still an issue. Currently it draws 0.83 A when locked.
I've removed all the fuses one by one with no main culprit.
I am now thinking could it be the alternator?
I've seen other mentions of coolant pumps but I cannot hear anything under the bonnet and I did replace the sensor 3-4 months ago.
I need to test the constant live to the alternator.

Does that make sense or anyone else have other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hi,
One other reason for quick discharge is that the battery is not fully charged in the first place. Check that the charging voltage (at the battery) is correct, it is possible that you have a high resistance joint between the alternator and battery the result of which is that the alternator thinks the battery is being offered a good charge but the battery just isn't receiving it. Also possible that the alternator is malfunctioning (brushes worn, regulator faulty).

0.83A sounds rather high for a vehicle that is switched off. If it is the aux pump while you may not hear it you should be able to touch the pump body and feel that it is running, alternatively simply unplug it from the loom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks JonCa,
I'm making a little progress it seems to draw the 0.83A when warm, but when cold (the day after) it drops back down to normal. I've not unplugged the pump as I've not looked for it yet. It sounds like this might be the temperature sensor incorrectly thinking the engine is too hot.
Does that sound like a possibility?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...sorry JonCa I missed the battery reply - yes that is fine, replaced earlier this year and reads around 12.75V.
Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
0.83 Amps will drain a 80Amp hour battery in 96 hours - which adds up to your 'under 5 days then flat' scenario.

seems like something is drawing the current - a stuck relay perhaps?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts