VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

As a new member this is my first post and I am seeking some advice from those who know!
I am looking at a 51 plate 2.5TDI 165K with auto transmission which has a couple of issues. When pulling away from standstill the transmission thumps into gear although if you wait a couple of seconds it picks up smoothly. Progress through the gears is then fine both up and down but it will not pick up 4th gear until around 50mph.
Are either of these faults terminal or are they relatively simple fixes?
Any advice gratefully received

Bill

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
"51 plate" I assume is a 2000/2001 model.
That should have the lockup for the torque converter in 4th.
I can "make" mine (backing off the loud peddle) to engage 4th AND lockup at around 60kph (just under 40mph) UP-HILL.

It's probably never had a fluid change (VW "claimed" it was sealed for life"....but needs doing every 50k or so).
Even if it has, there's a good chance that unless VW did it, DEXIII was used (the red stuff...that's useless for these boxes!).

IF the rest of the van is in good condition (always relative after 20 years!), I'd talk to the owner and offer to pay for a correct fluid change and then see how it drives.

Recon box will cost you north of 2k...and by "north", I mean you may want to take it to Mackies in Glasgow to get it done!
I took a "spare" box to them 6 years ago (from Norway), and it's still shiny, on a crate in my garage.....just waiting...LOL

Some very detailed threads on the Autobox, but since the forum update the links I had have changed....you'll have to search through...then you'll find a couple of days reading!

Many people have done a change to manual.....but I REALLY like my auto, especially with the cruise control (that also changes gear as needed).

BTW.....How's reverse?
It's often the 1st thing to show problems.
Mine didn't kick in until around 3000 rpm after a "reputable" garage in UK put DEXIII in mine!
That was half way home to Norway...so only around 1500 miles.
A mistake that ended up costing 4 grand with labour!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"51 plate" I assume is a 2000/2001 model.
That should have the lockup for the torque converter in 4th.
I can "make" mine (backing off the loud peddle) to engage 4th AND lockup at around 60kph (just under 40mph) UP-HILL.

It's probably never had a fluid change (VW "claimed" it was sealed for life"....but needs doing every 50k or so).
Even if it has, there's a good chance that unless VW did it, DEXIII was used (the red stuff...that's useless for these boxes!).

IF the rest of the van is in good condition (always relative after 20 years!), I'd talk to the owner and offer to pay for a correct fluid change and then see how it drives.

Recon box will cost you north of 2k...and by "north", I mean you may want to take it to Mackies in Glasgow to get it done!
I took a "spare" box to them 6 years ago (from Norway), and it's still shiny, on a crate in my garage.....just waiting...LOL

Some very detailed threads on the Autobox, but since the forum update the links I had have changed....you'll have to search through...then you'll find a couple of days reading!

Many people have done a change to manual.....but I REALLY like my auto, especially with the cruise control (that also changes gear as needed).

BTW.....How's reverse?
It's often the 1st thing to show problems.
Mine didn't kick in until around 3000 rpm after a "reputable" garage in UK put DEXIII in mine!
That was half way home to Norway...so only around 1500 miles.
A mistake that ended up costing 4 grand with labour!
Thanks for the info.
Reverse seems fine and the owner claims the fluid was changed 10k ago - but don't know what he put in it! Pardon my ignorance (I have had T25s for 13 years) but what is the torque converter lock up? Sounds like you back off the throttle and it locks into top? Should it lock into top on its own?

·
Registered
124 Posts
We have a Caravelle 2.5 TDi 102 auto. Been having similar issues for a couple of months. Then a couple of days ago, lost all drive :cry: I personally think the clutch has gone, based on the drive loss behaviour. But the diagnostic has been reporting intermittent torque converter lock-up failure, which I'm presuming is why it wouldn't change into 4th.

It's overdue an oil change and I was hoping that might help with the torque converter problem. Parts are rare, virtually non-existent from VW and the TC seems rarest of all. Our auto box was rebuilt in 2015 at at cost of £1800 but we were warned at the time, next time it goes it could be terminal for the box.

There are a few auto box recon companies around us, a couple in particular manufacture parts, but all including these two are saying it's terminal and no longer manufacture for this box :rolleyes:

We love our auto. Working well it's a stellar system... Adaptive learning mode with its own ECU, 'sport' capabilities, downhill engine breaking gears x3 and as Or_GazM says, with cruise fitted (a super easy retro-fit (y)) it's a dream drive.

Alas, unless we can find someone to take a look without charging us a re-mortgage, we're going to be looking at a manual conversion. And even that is proving tricky!! And will still be expensive.

Get a decent VW specific code reader on it, see what it throws up, gearbox in particular. And see where you go from there.

All the best
DM

·
Registered
864 Posts
Swapping to manual gearbox should ave been the 1st sensible thing to do when it failed 1st time, swapping to manual gearbox is not complicated but require a list of parts which makes it look expensive at first: clutch kit + dual mass flywheel, manual gearbox + complete shifter linkage, pedal assembly + clutch switch and brake switch and necessary codding of the Ecu so it wont look for the auto box anymore. There is also a bridge connection that needs removing so the car starter spins the engine which is inhibited on auto unless in Neutral or Park... Obviously you need brake fluid to bleed the clutch, a pipe needs connecting from brake reservoir to master cyl and obviously all brackets required to fit the gearbox from donor vehicle...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have a Caravelle 2.5 TDi 102 auto. Been having similar issues for a couple of months. Then a couple of days ago, lost all drive :cry: I personally think the clutch has gone, based on the drive loss behaviour. But the diagnostic has been reporting intermittent torque converter lock-up failure, which I'm presuming is why it wouldn't change into 4th.

It's overdue an oil change and I was hoping that might help with the torque converter problem. Parts are rare, virtually non-existent from VW and the TC seems rarest of all. Our auto box was rebuilt in 2015 at at cost of £1800 but we were warned at the time, next time it goes it could be terminal for the box.

There are a few auto box recon companies around us, a couple in particular manufacture parts, but all including these two are saying it's terminal and no longer manufacture for this box :rolleyes:

We love our auto. Working well it's a stellar system... Adaptive learning mode with its own ECU, 'sport' capabilities, downhill engine breaking gears x3 and as Or_GazM says, with cruise fitted (a super easy retro-fit (y)) it's a dream drive.

Alas, unless we can find someone to take a look without charging us a re-mortgage, we're going to be looking at a manual conversion. And even that is proving tricky!! And will still be expensive.

Get a decent VW specific code reader on it, see what it throws up, gearbox in particular. And see where you go from there.

All the best
DM
Many thanks to those who replied. In the light of debtmans comments I am going to give this a miss and look for a decent manual. The reported problems are worrying especially as I ran a T25 auto for six years without the slightest problem with the transmission

·
Registered
124 Posts
Many thanks to those who replied. In the light of debtmans comments I am going to give this a miss and look for a decent manual. The reported problems are worrying especially as I ran a T25 auto for six years without the slightest problem with the transmission
Ook!! Don't quote me :oops::D

The auto boxes are very different indeed. The 098 original 4 spd auto for the T4 was a bit of a chocolate box and replaced with the 01P which was better but not enough to save VW's poor sales in the USA of the T4 (they call it the Eurovan!!).

That said, I've been reading up on the auto again, here on this very forum there is A LOT of info. And doing a bit of online researching. There are companies in the US still manufacturing parts for the auto boxes including TCs, reconditioning valve bodies, etc, etc.

Since I last posted I've found a company in London quoting £2150 all in for a recon auto box fitted with warranty. And CaliCampers have quoted me the £2250 for a full auto to manual conversion including all the bits, to an 02G 5 speed manual, drive in auto, drive out manual.....or in our case, transport in broken auto ?

The upshot of a lot of the reading is that of all the things that can go wrong, valve body for example, a new one is expensive but a recon one from America, with all the problem bits bored & sleeved is much cheaper, even with the import taxes. Plus ought to last longer. Ditto the TCs.

Also found a video on YouTube from only July 2019 where a garage replaced the solenoids with ease and the ribbon connector. Filter kits are available too, lots on spares, etc.

So for me, the manual conversion isn't yet a done deal.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Dont know if you know this, but if you switch ignition on while holding down the throttle for approx 3 seconds then release throttle and go for full start, it's a soft reset for the box ecu it will then start to learn again, although if it's a hard thump it may stop it for a short time, these boxes should have had a proper oil cooler, not the one it's got, how can red hot water cool red hot oil, first steps read faults then reset all faults, take it for a ride and then recheck faults, sounds like torque converter but who knows, do get filter and oil swapped out asap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts