VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Bit of advice/recommendations please.
I’ve read some posts regarding the remapping (or NOT) of the 102 tdi with auto box and I’m still keen to sort something as I live in a hilly part of the world and the standard set up really is gutless and getting up hills is just beyond painful!
I’ve recently had the gearbox reconditioned and had an external oil cooler fitted too, which should help things and I wondered what from experience you’ve found works best with regards to max torque setting etc and which tuner? I live near Skipton Yorkshire but have family in the south. So I’m a little flexible regards where I go.
Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi guys,
Bit of advice/recommendations please.
I’ve read some posts regarding the remapping (or NOT) of the 102 tdi with auto box and I’m still keen to sort something as I live in a hilly part of the world and the standard set up really is gutless and getting up hills is just beyond painful!
I’ve recently had the gearbox reconditioned and had an external oil cooler fitted too, which should help things and I wondered what from experience you’ve found works best with regards to max torque setting etc and which tuner? I live near Skipton Yorkshire but have family in the south. So I’m a little flexible regards where I go.
Thanks in advance..
I'd find out why your van is behaving this way. The 102 has plenty of power. I often drive an 88 up to Grimwith reservoir from Bingley with no problems. Are you selecting the correct gear for the conditions? Sticking it in D will make it drive erratically in the Dales I switch between 2nd or 3rd when driving over your way because she will attempt to get into 4th ASAP if leaving her in D. This will cause the box to overheat due to the strain on the torque converter up some of our hills. On the other hand I have a remapped 88 van (Now about 138 bhp) which will do Garrowby hill in 5th. 😁

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd find out why your van is behaving this way. The 102 has plenty of power. I often drive an 88 up to Grimwith reservoir from Bingley with no problems. Are you selecting the correct gear for the conditions? Sticking it in D will make it drive erratically in the Dales I switch between 2nd or 3rd when driving over your way because she will attempt to get into 4th ASAP if leaving her in D. This will cause the box to overheat due to the strain on the torque converter up some of our hills. On the other hand I have a remapped 88 van (Now about 138 bhp) which will do Garrowby hill in 5th. 😁
Thanks for the thoughts which I take on board.. although that’s not really answered what I was asking?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Mine's currently running about 140bhp, and the torque is right on the maximum of the auto box!
PP0.5 injectors and a remap done locally in Norway as Pendle Prodder totally fooked it up!!!
As you, external cooler and no problems in mountainous Norway.
Torque convertor is not used in 4th once it "locks-up" anyway.
Only time I use other gears is for DOWNHILL....to save the brakes!
Just make sure you have the correct fluid in the 'box.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The problem with using D is the constant switching between 3rd & 4th if you're not giving it wellie I find as you're going up & down Dale.
That's in ECO mode, I've not tried changing that yet. What mode do you run in Gaz?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Hehe..."Sports mode".....not that it makes much difference over the "learning mode", as I always drive it the same way anyway!
Mine will go up the hill out of our village, change to 4th lockup at 60kph, and stay in that all the way to the top.
I guess it depends upon how much torque you have at the bottom end....I'm only doing about 12-1300 rpm at that speed, and it never struggles.
It's a hill about as steep as the roads UK put a warning sign on!

If I do try to give it some wellie, it then drops out of lockup, but never had it change down.....
The speed limit on that section is 60kph anyway. (80kph is the "common" speed limit in Norway....which is why it takes soooo long to drive anywhere!)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes but look at the views in Norway. It's enough to make you drive slow anyway. :love:
My eldest son was over on holiday about 18 months ago. The photographs he took were just beautiful.
I'll give "sport" mode a go & see if it calms the box down a bit. It's the best auto vehicle I've ever driven you can hardly hear the engine or feel the gear changes very much like a giant go-cart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts