VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help??

Whilst driving home last friday I smelt burning rubber coming from under the bonnet. The AA guy informed me that my crankshaft pulley had gone and was about to snap the drive belt. Was told it's not a massive job, but with limited tools and time I decided to take it to the local 'back street' garage.

When I got home I checked the service records to discover the Cam belt was changed 60,000 miles ago. I asked the garage to change the belt for me.

I have had a phone call from the garage earlier to say they had spent £320 on parts?? The guy I spoke to wasn't 100% sure what parts there were and the boss is going to call me in the morning. I have been told there is an expensive service kit??

Bascially, can anyone advise me what I should be changing with the vehicle in bits? A friend said it would be worth changing the water pump and fuel injection drive belt whilst at it??

Has anyone had any experience with this, I'm a little lost!
Any information or recommendations gratefully received.

Many thanks

Gav

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
a timing belt kit from vw which includes both belts - cam and fuel is usually just under £100,water pump is around £40ish and cam pulley is around £120ish,best get the water pump while they are in there

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
a mate who is a VAG trained technician said you should replace the main crank pulley bolt, loctite it in, and you should have a pulley locking plate to be able to torque it up to the required amount. I don't know what that figure is though, will have to ask him....it's more than the clutch can hold put it that way.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Full VAG belt service kit comes with both cam and pump belts,one tensioner for cambelt,one tensioner and one idler for fuel pump belt,new bolts for tensioners and new stud and nut for idler.New crankshaft pulley stretchbolt and diamond faced grip washer.
Waterpump should always be changed when doing cambelt unless vehicle history proves it had a new one recently.
Crank pulley's are quite a common failure on the 2.5TDI's and should be checked for splits/cracks when changing cambelt and replaced if nessesary
Coolant should be replenished with G12++ approved coolant

Dont cut corners when replacing the belts it will cost more in the long run...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for such quick and helpful responses.

It was the pulley for the ribbed belt which has gone. I am going to ask the boss in the morning that he has all the items you have stated. He did say something about a bolt and loctitie. I will make sure he changes the water pump as that happened to a friend of mine's T4.

So, £300 for parts sounds about right?

thanks Gavin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello All,

Thanks for the responses and help.

Update:- The crank shaft pulley was completly shot and has been replaced.
The water pump was serviceable, although it was showing of wear so replaced.
But we found the power steering pump has gone as well. Another £180 spent on parts which won't turn up till monday.

Frustrating weekend without van ahead!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts