VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -
Looking around underneath to get to know the new van and searching for clues on a dreadful squeaky rattle, I found this hole in the exhaust.

There's a close-up view here

I'm not a DIY-er, just like to be an informed customer, but I have experienced the joys of GunGum in the past. So off to the local parts emporium, where I sketched the location of the hole and said "What's the best thing to patch this with?" The reply was "are you sure there's not meant to be a hole there? There's often a hole there to let out condensation..."

I was so surprised I left without questioning it. He seemed so confident and I felt a bit of a ... So at the risk of feeling like that again with a stupid question, this hole needs patching, doesn't it? Or something needs replacing - any advice on the best approach ?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Exhausts are supplied in parts, so getting this bit replaced shouldn't be massively expensive. As for holes for condensation? :confused:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would not bother with a standard part but upgrade to aftermarket if not priced too high ! There's a few stainless steel exhaust fabricators with off the shelf systems, look for forum sponsors like PP Tuning or search Cybox online for full systems...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Bath sealer ;)

Normal silicone sealer can be used to bodge exhausts but not many people are aware that it'll stand the heat .

Looking at the part where yours is knackered it ain't gonna be too long before the weld breaks are the way round and the box seperates from the rest of the system but short term if you wanna stop it blowing give it a quick clean up to get rid of all the soot and then give it a nice thick coat of silicone :cool:

Make sure you are only coating the outside and not actually filling the exhaust up!

Gun gum is ok but cracks up and falls out , silicone is cheap and flexible ;)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Don't even consider repairing rusted out exhausts, especially on a high stress area like here. Just replace it asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone who's replied so quickly. Good advice, common sense, helpful to a non-techie newbie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts