VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,

I need to replace the instrument cluster in my T4 Multivan Allstar from 1997 (first image) and I am wondering about possible compatibilities with other VW models from that time.

I have noticed that the Passat 35i mounted a similar one, but I could not confirm if it would work in my T4. More concretelly I am talking about the Passat 35i B4, which seems to use a digital odometer, while the B3 seems to use an analogical one. They are being sold around half the price of those from T4's.

Has any of you fitted a Passat cluster onto a T4? Is there any modification needed?

Edit: Also, is it important to get it from a TDI car? Would a cluster from a petrol car work?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
T4 lwb AHU powered workhorse
295 Posts
Hi .
Have a search for Penbryn's thread on dash clusters in the TDI conversion section. That should tell you all you need.

Tobes

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
3,063 Posts
Has any of you fitted a Passat cluster onto a T4? Is there any modification needed?
I have a B3 or B4 Passat cluster in my '95 t4, I say B3 or B4 as later B3's have the digital / electronic speedometer (y)

theres also Corrado clusters but I've not had success with these in t4 aplications so beware;)
the clusters are physically interchangable but can be wired differently to those in t4's. I always suggest to people considering a Passat cluster that they get the 'sub-loom' (from cluster to fusebox) that go's with the cluster from the donor car.

is usefull to trace single-plug cluster pinouts.

for fusebox details.

also, its common for the Passat cluster to have a full-size lcd in the fuel / temp side that is the time-clock BUT some are also configured for the MFA display - your van might have supporting wiring for this but you'll need to check this:unsure:

Edit: Also, is it important to get it from a TDI car? Would a cluster from a petrol car work?
there are a few tacometer signal types used in the clusters, both petrol & diesel. (car & van)
petrol coil signal.
petrol ecu signal.
diesel alternator 'W' terminal signal.
diesel ecu signal.

if you have a tdi t4 then it has ecu derrived tacometersignal so can use either petrol or diesel ecu signal clusters.

petrol tacometers have ~7K rpm faces.
diesel tacometers have ~5K rpm faces.

^^Generally;). I say generally as I have a 7K diesel cluster in my collection....

I have a petrol B3gt cluster in my t4, it is also combined with a 1.9tdi conversion and has fully working MFA:cool:
the only missing 'diesel' item is the glowplug light but this doesn't bother me (glowplug light also illuminates to warn of dtc's / fault-codes)

Rich.

Reactions: Javier

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting point you mention, hybrid800.

I have not received the cluster yet and will not be able to try it on my T4 until mid January, so I can't tell much right now. All I know is that it is physically identical to the one on my T4, that it; rectangular shaped, digital odometer and not MFA (small left digital display). Also the back looks identical to my original cluster.

I'll keep in mind your advise and save those two links in case problems arise.

Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
3,063 Posts
just to add a little background info.....

^^ some of my collection, it's an old photo but should give an idea 🤤

having a t4 & a pair of B3 Passats means lots of interchangable spares:oops:

Rich.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.