VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
HX35 ? ?....:rolleyes: .....would need to space that inlet off a bit but .....H:
The picture on page 5 does show a Holset HX35 which was hybridised for the job ,but i am going a different route with the turbo now .Also better suited to my engine . Guaranteed 450 bhp from a diesel . It is big like the Holset and if i need more space i will cut a bigger hole in the bonnet .:) T: Might remove the bonnet stack and have a wing exhaust . I have moved the battery ready for that to happen .

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

I have removed the original fans and housing from the inside of the engine bay to give me more room (90mm )in front of the engine .Then got race lightweight fans and put them on the front . Half the weight and more room .

As you can see from the turbo position there is at least 250/300 mm before i hit the bonnet . So loads of room for a massive turbo upgrade without to many problems . Only fabrication and turbo supports + exhaust . T:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

My original turbo was a KKK14 waste gate turbo and the big one and the biggest you can go (because of lag ) is the Holset HX35 . Which i haven't fitted but was going to be my next mod. I have now changed my mind and going for a VNT turbo like the AXG 22/56 which i did have on for a while but was too small and swapped it out at 188 bhp for the 22/60 v Garrett which made 258 bhp. The new turbo is the same size as the Holset but is a VNT .

As of now never had a problem with EMT only once racing 3 Honda civic type R's for 15 miles @ 120 mph on a track .T:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just sat and read through this. Jesus wept, what a beast! Totally love it and I'm seriously impressed with the skills and drills you've put into this. Seriously seriously cool.

If you haven't already, have a look at Project Binky on youtube, it isn't the same (its about a mini, and a toyota, not a VW Van) but I think you'd really appreciate it as it seems right up your street.

A question, if you don't mind, with such a large turbo, are you worried at all that the lag could be quite severe for day to day use and would a twin or bi-turbo set up potentially be better? (forget space and fitting for the sake of argument, as I can see the issues you've had just getting all that in!)

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks Hinny . It has been a struggle but i am getting there now .You are correct the bigger you go turbo wise the later up the rev range it spool's .The holset is a waste gate turbo and the new one will be a vnt. You can help yourself out a bit with earlier spool by doing things like free flow exhaust manifold ,Rap it to keep the heat in . Different blade set up in the turbo . The way i am building the engine it can drive at 70 mph with no turbo . It will be interesting to see with the new turbo and set up where it spools up 2500 / 3000 and i will be happy .I am planning for the engine to rev too 6000 rpm :eek: T:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zwd4WOzcFg

Road test to check Exhaust manifold pressure .I am running 35 psi boost pressure .It works out i am running 1.5 x boost = 52.5 psi EMP . This is ok but will damage the turbo long term . So will need to reduce this down some .It has to be fine tuned and work in harmony with each other for high BHP . Slowly getting there .T:

61 - 71 of 71 Posts